The blogosphere is flooded with Diwali sweets and savories and just looking at all those wonderful snaps out there makes me feel that my waist line had increased by a few inches. While making sweets require at least some amount of expertise and patience, this savory mixture is so simple to make and is very much healthy as I used only 1 tsp of oil and made it entirely in Microwave.
In case you do not get the dry corn flakes in your place you can use the regular unflavored flakes and you will get good results. When I start to make sweets and savories for Diwali this is the first one I prepare and I keep munching on these while I go about my work in the kitchen. It helps me to feel less guilty.
Microwave Time: 7-10 Mins
Cook Time: 5 Seconds
Serves: 3 to 4
- Cornflakes (dry) – 250 gms
- Aval / Parched Rice/Rice Flakes – 1/2 cup
- Roasted Gram dal – 1/4 cup
- Raw unsalted peanuts – 1/2 cup
- Cashew nuts – 15
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
1. In a microwave proof bowl place the corn flakes and microwave at high for 3-4 minutes till they pop up and become crisp. Mix once after every minute to avoid burning and to get a crisply done flakes. Transfer to a bowl. I did it in 2 batches.
2. Like wise repeat for aval /parched rice, peanuts, roasted gram dal, cashew nuts one after the other and separately as the roasting time for each ingredient will differ and once done keep transferring to the bowl.
3. Heat a big pan / kadai with oil. Let it become hot, almost to a smoking level. Turn off flame and take off the stove. Immediately add red chilli powder, salt, sugar and curry leaves and mix briskly.
4. Add all the roasted ingredients to the pan and mix gently till all the ingredients get well coated.
5. Store in an air tight container and enjoy at leisure.
- You can use almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins too. I did not use because I did not have any at hand.
- You can do step-3 in the microwave itself if you happen to have a large enough bowl.
- If you want a tangy taste, you can add 1 tsp of chaat masala powder while you add the red chilli powder.