Orange Muffins With Orange Glaze
My love for oranges is known to everyone in my family. I love citrus flavors very much and among them oranges are my favorite. I love the color and also anything and everything made with oranges. To prove my point, I have an Orange bread, Vegan Orange Cake, Shortbread Cookie and a delicious, mouthwatering Orange Kheer that will be a perfect dessert and not to mention a drink that will whet your appetite. I have not tried so many dishes with any other ingredient like I did with Oranges, I believe.
And for this week’s Avant Garde Cookies Group we go hush hush. Anu gave me the secret ingredient as Orange and that made me clap my hands with glee. Now that I had covered almost everything with oranges, I started to think what else was left out and it was Arun, my elder one who gave the idea of muffins. And he wanted a glaze on top, as he previously loved the Mocha Muffins with Coffee Glaze very much.
As muffins are so versatile which can be baked as a quick bread too, I remembered pinning one such muffin recipe to my Pinterest Board long time back from Annie’s Eats. What I loved about the recipe at that time was the glaze she had used to top the muffins. So, I adapted these muffins accordingly as I do not get sour cream at my place, had to substitute with curd/yogurt.
Unfortunately, after placing the muffins inside the oven, electricity went off and returned after 5 minutes and that happened thrice while these muffins were baking due to some faulty connection in the nearby transformer. Luckily the muffins, rose, sunk a bit and then once again continued to bake and came out well. It was difficult to calculate the time but after 2+ years of baking, I have learned to go by my nose rather than open the door and keep testing with a tester which would have wasted my whole effort in this case.
Orange Muffins with Orange Glaze
Prep time: 10 mins | Bake time: 20 mins | Makes: 12
- All purpose flour – 1 3/4 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 3/4 tbsp
- Salt – 2 pinch
- Egg – 1
- Yogurt/Curd – 1/4 up
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Orange juice, freshly squeezed – 1/4 cup
- Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
- Orange zest – of 1 Orange
- Orange juice – 2 tbsp
- Confectioners/Icing Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Orange Zest – 1/2 tsp
1. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Preheat the oven @ 180 C / 350 F Degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt till combined.
3. In another bowl beat together all the liquid ingredients ie., orange juice, milk, yogurt, egg and vegetable oil. Beat till all the ingredients emulsifies well.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in 3 batches and fold with the help of spatula till the ingredients are combined.
5. Finally add the orange zest and mix once more. Do not overdo it else the muffins will turn our hard.
6. Drop the dough with a scoop into the muffin pan and bake for 20 mins or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Take the pan out and let it cool for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool to room temperature.
8. For the Glaze: Mix the 3 ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over the muffins and let it set.
Notes:1. If you want to freeze the muffins, do so without drizzling the glaze.
2. There was no need to add any flavoring agent as the orange zest took care of it.
3. I made 6 small muffins and baked the rest of the batter in a pudding bowl.
4. Glazing is of course optional but highly recommended.
5. Oven timings will vary accordingly.
This if off to Avant Garde Cookies