For a long time, I had thought a Pizza needs flour and yeast, until I came a cauliflower crust pizza on Pinterest and I was really intrigued by that idea. It had been on my mind ever since to give it a try and find out how it tasted actually. I hate wasting food and there are millions of hungry mouths and empty bellies around us and any wastage of food always makes me feel so guilty. This very feeling made me postpone to try this one, this long as I did not want to be the one to eat the whole thing in case the kids did not like it. Luckily my kids loved it and in fact gobbled down 2 of them as I had made 2 versions of it, the other being a Vegan Pizza crust which also came out perfect.
A warning first that this is not your typical pizza and you have to eat it with a fork but you will be able to cut a perfect slice of it if you follow the instructions to the T. I hope I have convinced you after taking a look at the pictures.
I made a typical Indian flavored Pizza and made 2 versions with one being loaded with cheese and the other a vegan one. But I found that the one with the butter was even more firm and than the vegan crust. I would have never thought a pizza crust made with a vegetable would taste this good and turn out great as well.
1. If you do not have the time to dry out the “riced” cauliflower and if you do not want to pre cook them before baking, place them in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze the heck out of them. You will be surprised at the amount of water it releases. Mix in the other ingredients and bake the crust.
2. What if you do not have garlic cheese spread? well, you can add 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and softened unsalted butter. If you do not want to add butter and wish to make a vegan pizza crust, skip the butter and replace it with oil.
3. You can skip the Indian spices and go all out for an Italian one by using Mixed Dry Italian herbs, also skip the cheese spread or butter and use grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese instead.
4. Use your better judgment while adding salt as you are adding it both to the crust and topping separately and also the cheese has salt too.
5. Do not bake for a long time as anyways after adding cheese you are going to grill or broil again.
6. Oven timings will change accordingly.
This is off to The Groovy Gourmets where we are making different sorts of Pizzas this month.