Eggless baked donuts recipe with glazed chocolate without a donut maker or donut pan. An absolutely no fail Donut recipe and a definite keeper as every time it comes out like a charm. Just perfect for breakfast or for kids snack box or as an after school treat.
I had never been a big lover of Donuts, but my kids are really crazy about them and I never attempted to make it at home thinking they were quite difficult.
But now I revise my opinion after having made it thrice already without a donut maker or a pan. As you have total control over the shape you can make them as mini donuts as well.
If you are like me, making excuses that you do not wish to deep fry, fret not as these are not deep fried donuts but baked and eggless and you will not even be needing any of those fancy pans as these doughnuts are shaped by hand and they maintain their shape pretty well too when done right.
Follow these instructions if you do not have a donut pan:
Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into 1/2 inch thick slab.
I used a cup, held it upside down and cut out a bigger circle. Then used a soft drink bottle cap to cut out a hole in the middle of the cut out bigger circle.
Gather the edges, once again, roll them and continue till all the dough is used up. I got only 3 dough balls at the end.
Transfer the cut donuts and the balls to a greased baking tray and arrange them side by side leaving enough space in between.
Points to note before baking eggless baked donuts:
1. Do not add more flour than necessary as it will make the donuts hard.
2. Do not over bake the donuts as it will make them chewy. Just bake till it is lightly golden on top.
3. If you do not have an oven, after the second resting time, instead of baking, keep oil in a pan and deep fry the donuts.
4. The glaze will harden as it becomes cold. Add enough hot milk to bring back to its saucy consistency.
5. Instead of glaze you can also dip the donuts in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon powder after brushing them with butter.
These eggless baked donuts are adapted from Laura Ferroni’s donuts and we are baking this for We Knead to Bake ~ 6.
Eggless Baked Donuts Recipe details below:
- All purpose flour – 2 cups (1-1/2 + ½)
- Corn flour (Corn starch) – 1 tbsp
- Active Dry yeast – ½ tbsp
- Milk – ½ cup
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Butter, unsalted – 50 gms
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Dark chocolate, chopped – 50 gms
- Powdered sugar – 3 tbsp
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Milk – ¼ cup approx
- Pulse the sugar in a mixie jar once or twice to make it super fine and keep aside.
- Reserve ½ cup flour separately.
- Grease a bowl with oil and keep it ready.
- The butter should be cold and hard. Cut it into small cubes and keep it ready.
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix together milk and vanilla essence and microwave at high for 30 secs. This heat would be perfect. You can also do this on stove top.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together 1-1/2 cups flour, corn flour, yeast, salt and fine sugar.
- Make a well in the center and pour the warm milk.
- Spread your fingers and mix it together. It will become a big lumpy mass.
- Add the cubed butter and work it into the dough.
- The warmth of the milk and your hands are enough and it will easily merge with the dough. The dough will be sticky at this stage.
- Add the remaining ½ cup flour and knead well for 4-5 minutes.
- Place the dough in the greased bowl. Cover and let it rest for 1 hour or till it doubles in volume.
- After an hour, gently deflate the dough by pressing the dough and letting the air out.
- Dust your work area with flour and place dough on it. I used a shallow plate for this.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into ½ inch thick slab.
- Using a donut cutter, cut out the shapes.
- Gather the edges, once again, roll them and continue till all the dough is used up. I got only 3 dough holes at the end.
- Transfer the cut donuts to a greased baking tray and arrange them side by side leaving enough space in between.
- Cover with a thick cloth and let it rest for another 20 minutes. I just placed a big dinner plate upside down over the baking tray.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C (400 F).
- Bake for 10 minutes or till golden brown. Eggless baked donuts are ready.
- Take the tray out and brush with melted butter all over the donuts. I just rubbed a hard cube of cold butter all over the top which did a better job. Let it cool for 5 minutes.
- For the Chocolate Glaze or Sauce: After you place the donuts in the oven, start making the glaze. The timing will be perfect.
- In a small sauce pan, place all the ingredients for the glaze and heat it till the chocolate melts.
- Keep stirring continuously using a balloon whisk until it resembles a thick sauce. This should take just 2-3 minutes.
- Take off stove and let it rest till it becomes warm and you can see it thickening slightly.
- To Glaze Donuts: Transfer the chocolate glaze to a shallow plate or bowl.
- Holding your Donuts upside down, dip the top surface of the donut in the glaze and pull it up.
- Let the extra sauce dribble and turn your hand up in one swift movement and place the Donuts on a plate for the glaze to harden.
- Top with colored sprinkles or silver balls over the glaze.