Mushrooms are something that is very much loved by my kids. I find it very difficult to accept it as a fungi as its nothing short of any other vegetable. The term “Vepudu” means fry in “Telugu” language and this recipe is typically of Andhra Cuisine as its very spicy. If you are looking for a crunchy appetizer or a spicy dry curry to serve along any variety rice, this mushroom fry recipe is the one for you. My SIL gave this recipe when she visited for the Christmas holidays. She saw this recipe being demonstrated in a TV channel. I have made it twice already and the kids just love it very much.
First time I served it as a snack and the next time I served this as a side dish along with Peas Pulao and the combo was just fantastic. It will even go well with jeera pulao. fried rice or any mildly spiced one pot rice.
While I was making this fry, I found the process very similar to that of making a manchurian. If you can imagine an Indian style Mushroom Manchurian that uses only Indian spices and is devoid of any bottled Chinese sauces, this is it. I know, hard to imagine that but yes this fry is fully and completely tasted like a Mushroom Manchurian Indian style.
I also found that the more curry leaves you add, the flavor just improved manifold. I’m sure that you all will love this as much as we at home loved it. Do give it a try and let me know how it turned out for you.
BTW, hope you all had a fantastic start to the New Year. As there is a wedding in the family this month, I had lots of guests at home during the holidays and we all had a gala time shopping for the wedding and I’m finding it real hard to get back to the routine. I’m very much happy to be sharing the first post of this New Year which as I said, you all will love.
- I did not have lemon juice at hand, so I added 3/4 tsp Amchur powder (Dry mango powder) instead. That’s why the fritters have a dark look.
- Do not rest the mushroom after mixing with the paste for more than 5-7 minutes as it starts letting out more water.
- After mixing flour to the mushroom mixture, immediately deep fry them. The more you rest, the more mushroom starts to let out water and your fritters will not be crisp enough after deep frying. Not only that, the fritters will drink more oil while deep frying as well.
- Adding lots of torn curry leaves enhances the taste and flavor very much.
- As we are using red chili powder, pepper and green chili, this is one spicy dish, so adjust the quantity according to your taste buds.
- If serving as an appetizer or snack, sprinkle some chaat masala powder after deep frying, over the fritters. It tasted so yummy.