Aloo Gobhi Pulao Recipe. A quick lunch box recipe with potatoes and cauliflower that is very easy to make and pack. It is also a wholesome one pot meal in itself.
A combination of vegetables in a one pot meal that just cannot go wrong and which happens to be an all time favorite among the kids as well.
Pack this for the kids and I assure it will come back empty without any leftovers. Last week when it was “Rice week” at school for lunch for the younger one.
They always have a theme for their snack and lunch time to ensure they eat nutritious food and to teach them about healthy eating.
I made this for lunch and clicked it quickly before packing it for both of them which is very rare as I never touch the camera during the early morning rush.
Though you can cook this pulao in both pressure cooker or in the pan itself, I prefer stir frying all the ingredients in a wide pan and then letting the rice cook in the electric cooker.
I find the result of the pulao to be very good when cooked this way. The rice is cooked perfectly without sticking to each other and the spices also blend well with the rice.
Adding an equal amount ghee (clarified butter) will not only enhance the taste of the pulao but its also nutritious for the growing up kids.
I did not have mint leaves at hand but if you have, do add a handful while sautéing the vegetables as it enhances the aroma of the pulao.
Aloo Gobhi Pulao Recipe details as follows:
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Potato, medium – 2
- Cauliflower – 1 medium size
- Onion – 1
- Green chilies – 2
- Ginger, grated – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cloves – 2
- Star anise – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- Water – 3 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 20 – 30 mins.
- Wash the potatoes, scrape the skin and cut them into bite sized cubes and immerse in water to prevent discoloring.
- Clean the cauliflower and cut into bite sized florets.
- Cut the onions into juliennes and slit the green chilies lengthwise.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, star anise, cloves and sauté for a few seconds till the aroma arises.
- Add the onions, grated ginger and green chilies and sauté till the onion becomes translucent.
- Drain the water completely from the rice and add the rice to the pan.
- Gently sauté for a minute or 2 till the rice gets coated well with oil.
- Drain the water from potatoes.
- Add cauliflower florets and potato cubes to the rice.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, water, salt and mix well.
- Transfer the entire contents of the pan to the electric rice cooker.
- Switch the knob to “cooking” mode.
- You can cook the pulao in a pressure cooker also for 2 whistles or in the pan itself. But I prefer cooking in the rice cooker.
- Once the knob shift to the “Warm mode”, wait for 10 mins, fluff the rice with a fork.
- Aloo Gobhi Pulao is ready.
- Serve hot with Thayir pachadi or any raita of your choice.