Carrot Burfi with stepwise photos. An easy soft burfi made using freshly grated carrots and instant gulab jamun mix to make for Diwali or for any special occasion. Its perfect for any beginner as this recipe does not call for any sugar syrup consistency.
Usually my mom will add either roasted gram flour (besan) or Maida to make carrot burfi. Last year I bought a pack of Gulab Jamun mix to make some for my elder one's birthday and stored the remaining unused mix in the fridge.
I love making carrot halwa with Delhi Carrots very much, so when the season started last year, I tried this carrot burfi using the left over instant gulab jamun mix and it came out very well. Sometimes when we make with besan or maida, we get the raw smell despite cooking it for that long in ghee. That problem does not arise when we use jamun mix.
Our Favorite Video:
But with gulab jamun mix, there was no raw smell and it also used very less ghee comparatively. This carrot burfi's consistency was that of the custard powder halwa and cornflour halwa. You can either serve scooped them in small bowls or cook it for a little longer to cut into squares and then serve.
Either way if you have small kids or aged people at home who have trouble biting into hardened burfis then this soft carrot burfi will be very apt to make for this Diwali.
Carrot Burfi Recipe with Stepwise photos:
1. Peel and grate carrots.
2. Grind the carrots with cardamom and milk to a smooth paste in a mixie jar.
3. In a pan (preferably non stick), mix in carrot paste, gulab jamun mix and sugar together.
4. Place the pan on the stove and start cooking over a medium flame stirring continuously. Start adding ghee at regular intervals. Once the mixture starts to thicken, reduce flame completely.
5. Keep stirring continuously till the it all comes together in a mass and the ghee separates.
6. Transfer the burfi to a greased tray and garnish the top with finely chopped pistachios.
Let the carrot burfi cool down completely. Cut into squares and serve. Always keep refrigerated.
Carrot Burfi recipe details below:
Carrot Burfi Recipe
- Carrot - 1 cup grated
- Milk - 4 tbsp
- Gulab Jamun Mix - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom - 2
- Pistachios - 10
- Peel and grate carrots.
- Grind the carrots with cardamom and milk to a smooth paste in a mixie jar.
- Crush the gulab jamun mix with your finger tips breaking off any lumps.
- In a pan (preferbaly non stick), mix in carrot paste, gulab jamun mix and sugar together.
- Place the pan on the stove and start cooking over a medium flame stirring continuously.
- Start adding ghee at regular intervals. Once the mixture starts to thicken, reduce flame completely.
- Keep stirring continuously till it all comes together in a mass and the ghee separates.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased tray and garnish the top with finely chopped pistachios.
- Let the carrot burfi cool down completely.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Always keep refrigerated.