Eggless Butterscotch Ice cream recipe. This homemade eggless butterscotch ice cream needs no ice cream maker and is made with just 2% milk and has no cream, no butter and condensed milk. So it’s a completely low fat ice cream recipe that everyone can enjoy during summer.
I have adapted this recipe from my eggless strawberry ice cream. Ever since I discovered both GMS and CMC, making ice cream has become so easy and a child’s play for me.
I love butterscotch flavor very much and I’m also more inclined to the crunch of butter scotch chips than when compared to the regular chocolate chips. So when I got the butterscotch essence a few months this eggless butterscotch ice cream is what I had in mind to make.
This process is very handy when you are not able to get hold of whipped cream or you were able to get non dairy whipped cream but do not want to use it like me.
Both GMS and CMC and extensively used in the food industry as emulsifiers and stabilizers so you can use them without any hesitation. This is used in Ice cream manufacturing units to make no churn soft serve ice creams that we get in shops.
Earlier I was able to get both these ingredients only in shops at Wall tax road but I was surprised to find them this time at the aisle of Nilgiris Super Market branch near my home.
These ingredients are not only used just for making ice creams but you can also use them while baking breads and cakes which is what I’m planning to do next once I figure out how to go about them.
Eggless Butterscotch Ice Cream recipe details below:
- Milk – 500 ml ( I used 2% )
- Corn Flour / Corn starch – 1-1/2 tbsp
- G.M.S (Glycerol Mono Stearate) – 1-1/2 tbsp
- C.M.C (Carboxymethyl Cellulose) – 1/8 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Butterscotch chips – 1/4 cup
- Saffron strands – 1 pinch
- Butterscotch essence – 1 tsp
- In 2 tbsp lukewarm milk soak the saffron strands and keep aside for 30 mins.
- In a small bowl place corn flour, GMS and CMC. Add 4 tbsp milk and mix till there are no lumps.
- Add remaining milk to a vessel. Add this solution to the milk and stir well.
- Place the vessel on the stove over medium flame, add sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Keep stirring to avoid the mixture from sticking to the bottom.
- You can see a little thickening of the milk and it will start to boil well.
- Adjust the flame to medium low and cook further for 5 more minutes stirring continuously.
- At this stage when you dip a spoon in the milk, the mixture will lightly coat the back of the spoon.
- Add the saffron soaked milk and mix well.
- Take off from fire and let the mixture cool down completely.
- Transfer to any freezer proof shallow container and place it in the freezer to set for 5-6 hours.
- Take the set ice cream out after 6 hours and add butterscotch essence and blend well using a hand held mixer or in a blender.
- Add butterscotch chips and mix with a spatula.
- Once again pour the blended mixture into the same container and place it in the freezer to set well.
- It should take another 3-4 hours to set.
- Eggless Butterscotch ice cream is ready.
- Once set, scoop into individual cups or cones and serve garnished with more butter scotch on top.
- You can also drizzle butterscotch syrup on top if you have on hand.