Garlic fried rice recipe. It is also called as “Sinangag” which happens to be a popular Filipino breakfast that is filling and very simple to make. It is one of the best ways to use up left over rice.
As this garlic fried rice requires very few ingredients it is also known as “Poor Man’s Fried Rice” or “Filipino Garlic Fried Rice”.
It is usually served with fried eggs and fish which will make a wholesome nutritious meal. As the basic Sinangag recipe is very simple, one can always adapt it to suit one’s palate.
I tried the basic version a few days ago and though it tasted really good, the family who are more used to spicy food found it a wee bit bland.
So I made it again with a few changes, the result was too good. Give it a try and I’m sure this garlic fried rice will become your go to comfort food especially on a cold rainy day.
“Sinangag” is basically made using left over rice, so if you have excess rice left over after cooking for a crowd, you can always make this to have a hearty meal.
Since my kids love it so much, I pack this garlic fried rice often for their school lunch box mostly with this Baby Potato Sambal for side dish. And according to both the kids, all the other kids at school go crazy over this rice.
We, the Avant Garde Cookies, are cooking with the recipe name starting with letter “G” and this Garlic Fried Rice recipe seemed an apt choice for this week’s theme.
Garlic Fried Rice recipe details below:
- Cooked rice – 2 cups
- Garlic – 10 pods
- Red chili paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Spring onions, greens – 2 tsp
- Crush the garlic pods using a mortar and pestle and keep aside.
- Heat a wok with oil. Add crushed Garlic and sauté over low flame for 3- 4 minutes.
- The garlic should become brown in color, crisp and aromatic.
- Add the Red chili paste and saute over high flame for a minute.
- Add cooked rice, salt and mix well.
- Let it cook over medium flame for another 2-3 minutes.
- Toss rice well so that the garlic and the garlic oil, coats the rice well.
- Garlic fried rice is ready.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion greens.
- Serve piping hot with fried eggs.
You can also add 1 tsp of dark soy sauce for an added flavor.