Pasta with mixed vegetable sauce recipe with step by step pictures. A healthy, vegan pasta recipe that is perfect for kids and adults who refuse to eat their vegetables. If you have this make ahead easy mixed vegetable sauce made in a pressure cooker, ready in your refrigerator, then you dinner gets done in just 15 mins perfect for those busy weekday nights.
An incredibly versatile pasta sauce which you can alter to your requirements, depending on the veggies you have on hand. I usually make this on my refrigerator cleaning day, tossing in all the left over veggies into the sauce.
I used pressure cooker to make this sauce, as I have no patience to stand near the stove and cook the sauce, stirring for 20 to 30 mins. The best things about making this sauce in a pressure cooker is that you can make it without supervision and you don’t have to increase your cooking time if you happen to double or triple the recipe.
I usually make double the recipe I have given here and refrigerate one half for later use. If you happen to make a very large batch, you can also freeze the sauce for later use.
I have used vinegar here which is optional. I started adding it after the first time I made this sauce. I find that it balances the acidity of the tomatoes and the sweetness of the carrots, red peppers and pumpkins beautifully.
It also helps to maintain the rich colour of the sauce. You can totally skip the vinegar and add 1/4 cup red wine if you happen to have at hand as well while serving for grown ups alone.
Stepwise Instructions for Pasta with Mixed Vegetable Sauce:
1. Heat a pressure pan with olive oil. When the oil is warm, add garlic pods and onion and sauté till translucent.
2. Add carrot, yellow pumpkin, red bell pepper, green chilies and toss well.
3. Add celery, leeks, tomatoes and cook for a minute.
4. Add red chili flakes, salt, toss well and close the lid.
5. Cook for 2 whistles. Switch off and wait for the pressure to release on its own. Let the mixture cool.
6. Blend the contents using an immersion hand blender or transfer to a blender and blitz well to a smooth paste.
7. Add sugar, vinegar and keep it simmering.
8. Cook pasta according to instructions given in the pack. Drain and toss with sauce and serve hot.
Pasta with Mixed Vegetable Sauce recipe details below:
- Pasta - 250 gms (I used spiral)
- Onion - 1
- Garlic - 4 pods
- Tomato - 4
- Red Bell pepper - 1
- Yellow Pumpkin - 4 to 5 cubes (75 gms approx.,)
- Carrot - 1
- Leek - 1 stalk
- Celery - 2 sticks
- Green chilies - 2
- Red chili flakes - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Vinegar - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Parsley - to garnish (optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Olive oil - 2 tsp
- Cube onion, tomato, carrot, red bell pepper. Slit the green chilies and deseed.
- Heat a pressure pan with olive oil.
- When the oil is warm, add garlic pods and onion and sauté till translucent.
- Add carrot, yellow pumpkin, red bell pepper, green chilies and toss well.
- Add celery, leeks, tomatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add red chili flakes, salt, toss well and close the lid.
- Cook for 2 whistles. Switch off and wait for the pressure to release on its own. Let the mixture cool.
- Blend the contents using an immersion hand blender or transfer to a blender and blitz well to a smooth paste.
- Return the sauce to the stove. Add sugar, vinegar and mix well. Keep it simmering over low flame.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the instructions given in its pack.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the sauce.
- Toss well so that the sauce completely coats and gets mixed well with the pasta.
- Serve this hot pasta with mixed vegetable sauce, garnished with parsley in individual bowls.