Pudina Rice Recipe or Mint Pulao is an easy to make one pot meal that is perfect to pack for lunch boxes for both kids and adults along with a simple raita. Pudina pulao is not only easy to make but its also very flavorful and aromatic. Packing for lunch box is quick during the morning times especially when you have stocked up already cleaned up mint leaves in the fridge. It will be perfect for potlucks too.
There are several ways of making this South Indian Pudina Rice, but this is the method that I follow in my kitchen as everyone at home loves this rice.
Mint Pulao is not only perfect for Bachelor cooking but also for anyone who is new to cooking.
I can assure you that you kids will definitely come home with an empty lunch box requesting you pack the same for next day too.
I have made this pudina rice using pressure cooker but you can also make it in an open pan and cook accordingly.
You can also add peas or sweet corn kernels while cooking to make it more colorful and appealing to the kids.
- Basmati Rice - 1+1/2 cups
- Fresh mint leaves - 1 bunch
- Fresh Coriander leaves - 1/2 bunch
- Onion, large - 1
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Green chilies - 5
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Garlic pods - 6
- Fennel seeds (Sombu) - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 inch stick
- Cloves - 3
- Star anise - 1
- Kal paasi (stone flower) - 1 pinch
- Bay leaf - 1
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Pick, clean and wash both mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Wash basmati rice once and soak it in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In a mixie jar take grated coconut, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Grind it to a smooth paste using little water. (1/8 cup approx)
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil. Temper with star anise, kal paasi and bay leaf.
- Add the ground paste and mix well.
- Add red chili powder and cook over medium flame for 3-4 mins till the oil starts to separate.
- Drain the basmati rice completely and add it to pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups water, salt, lemon juice and mix well.
- Cook over medium flame for 2 whistles and switch off the stove.
- Wait for the pressure to release by itself and open the lid.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork and pack in lunch boxes along with raita.