Red Capsicum Chutney or Red Bell Pepper Chutney Recipe with step by step photos. If you are bored of the same chutneys that you make as a side dish for idli and dosa, its time you made this red capsicum chutney. This is a very simple and easy chutney that is mild in spice which you can increase or decrease according to your preference. This red capsicum chutney can also be used as a spread or as a dip too.
Like how you use the mint chutney as a sandwich spread, you can also use this red capsicum chutney as a sandwich spread to add that much needed eye catching color to your kids snack or lunch box.
Having some toasts, chips or nachos to serve and wondering about the dip, use this red bell pepper chutney and a healthy snack is ready to be served in minutes.
I love red capsicum especially to be used while making chutney instead of the green one as the latter has got a more pungent smell to it. Red capsicum has got that mild sweetness to it and also grows more in volume when made into a chutney.
Red Capsicum Chutney or Red Bell Pepper Chutney with Step by Step Photos:
Chop onion, tomato and red capsicum into big chunks. Heat a pan and roast urad dal and whole dry red chillies.
Add onion and saute till it turns translucent. Add tomato and red capsicum, little water and cook till the vegetables soften and the water evaporates. Let it cool and transfer to a mixie jar.
Add salt and grind to a smooth paste. Heat a pan with oil and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Add the ground chutney and mix well and cook for a minute. Red capsicum chutney is ready to be served with steaming hot idlis and crispy dosas.
- Onion - 1
- Red Bell Pepper, medium - 2
- Tomato - 1
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Dry whole red chilies - 8
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Chop the onion, red bell pepper and tomato into big chunks.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil. Add urad dal and when it gets roasted to a golden brown, add whole red chilies and fry for a minute taking care not to change its color.
- Add the onions and saute till it turns pink. Add tomato, red bell peppers and saute for 2-3 mins over low flame.
- Add 1/8 cup water, mix and close the pan with a lid and let it cook over low flame till the vegetables absorb the water.
- Switch off stove and let the mixture cool completely.
- Transfer to a mixie jar and add salt. Grind to a paste using little water to a chutney consistency.
- Heat the same pan with 1 tsp oil. when hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves, and the ground chutney, mix and cook for 1/2 to 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Red Capsicum chutney is ready.
- Serve with piping hot idlis and dosas.