Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Recipe with step by step photos. A filling, delicious soup that is vegan, so creamy despite not having any cheese to add to its thickness. It makes a wholesome and complete meal when served with a crusty bread and salad.
This is the sort of soup that demands some bread to go with it as you just can’t help reaching for one to mop up all the soupy goodness.
I made this soup when I made Italian cuisine for our Sunday lunch on kids demand.
I had made this soup already but differently with coriander leaves and its stalk. I did not know what I was missing until I used basil pesto in the soup. It was so yummmm… is all I can say. And before you think anything, there is nothing wrong with coriander but it was definitely not basil.
I have used standard tomatoes here but a combination of cherry and roma tomatoes will be even more awesome. The addition of carrots will bring down the acidity of the tomatoes.
After making this life changing, palate challenging basil flax seed pesto, I was not going to waste any of the stalks of the basil, as I never get fresh basil leaves here, so I added them to the roasting ingredients and the smell coming out of the oven was so amazing.
Whenever I make veg kurma or biryani, I collect the peels of the veggies and make a quick stock and freeze them in ziplock bags. So all I had to do was thaw a bag out and use it in this roasted tomato basil soup as its base and it was so delicious. Healthy without the added salt when you have to use a soup cube.
I added kashmiri red chili powder which gave this soup a lovely color without making the soup taste super hot and spicy. I skipped adding red chili flakes as I do not like biting on a seed while eating soup.
And finally adding lemon juice at the end will take this roasted tomato basil soup to a whole new level. It will not only maintain that lovely color of the soup but will also make it taste more tangy and tasty.
You can always replace lemon juice with red wine vinegar if you have on hand, but since I don’t get it here, I stick to lemon juice, which gets the job done.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup recipe with stepwise photos:
1. In a baking tray arrange, tomatoes, onion, garlic, carrots, basil stalks. Drizzle olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently for all of them to combine.
2. Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour at 190 C. Gently shake the pan or toss the ingredients to help roast evenly when its halfway.
3. Transfer to a blender along with the juices and adding little water blend to a coarse paste.
4. Transfer the puree to a sauce pan. Add vegetable stock, kashmiri red chili powder, basil flax seed pesto, salt, pepper, mix well and let it simmer for 7-10 mins.
5. Take the soup off the stove and mix in lemon juice. Take a taste check at this stage and add in more salt, pepper, lemon juice or pesto to suit your taste buds.
6. Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is ready. Serve piping hot in individual bowls with crusty bread slices.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup recipe details below:
- Tomatoes - 4
- Carrots - 2
- Onion - 1
- Garlic - 5 cloves
- Basil or Coriander stalks - 8 to 10
- Kashmiri Red chili powder or Red chili flakes - 1 tsp
- Basil Flax Seed Pesto - 2 tbsp
- Vegetable stock or broth - 4 cups
- Olive oil - 4 tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper powder - to taste
- Preheat oven at 190 C or 375 F.
- Quarter the tomatoes. Cut both onion and carrots into big chunks.
- In a baking tray arrange, tomatoes, onion, garlic, carrots, basil stalks.
- Drizzle olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently for all of them to combine.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
- When the baking is half way through, open the oven and gently shake the pan or toss the ingredients to help roast evenly.
- Take the pan and let it cool down a bit.
- Transfer to a blender along with the juices and adding little water blend to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the puree to a sauce pan. Add vegetable stock. If you do not have stock, add water and use 1 to 2 store bought stock cubes and adjust salt accordingly.
- Add kashmiri red chili powder, Basil Flax Seed Pesto, salt, pepper, mix well and let it simmer for 7-10 mins.
- Take the soup off the stove and mix in lemon juice.
- Take a taste check at this stage and add in more salt, pepper, lemon juice or pesto to suit your taste buds.
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup is ready.
- Serve piping hot in individual bowls with crusty bread slices.