- Use salt wisely. Both the idlis and the sauces already have salt in them.
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste buds. We use green chilies, green chili sauce and red chili powder here. So omit anything if you do not want the dish to be very hot.
- Instead of shallow frying the idli pieces on a tawa, you can also grill them in an over. But you have to keep turning them every 1 or 2 minute for all the sides to get grilled uniformly.
- You can either make idlis fresh or use the left overs from the day before.
- I find that the left over idlis that were kept in the fridge gets shallow fried or grilled easily as its able to hold its shape well.