Eggless, butter less, vegan orange cake that is so soft and moist with step by step pictures. I believe that I have never paid enough attention to people who battle their way on to becoming vegan. As a vegetarian I always thought all the vegetarian dishes that I cook daily that are devoid of milk products are vegan which also happens to be true but only when I paid closer attention did I realize how much animal products I’m using on a daily basis. For people who are so used to it, converting to vegan is going to be an uphill battle.
This month, my Blog Hop Partner is Nagasree. She has some yummy traditional Karnataka recipes in her space and all her posts tell a heart rendering story which makes a lovely read. When I saw this cake, I decided to give it a try as we all love citrus bakes at home. Unfortunately I never had the time to go shop for lemons with guests at home. But to compensate I had lots of oranges and decided to give it a try with them. She had mentioned that the cake turned out a bit dense for her so I made some changes to get it light and spongy and you can see that for yourself here.
Did I tell you that I finally got a perfect Bundt that actually fits my small oven. I used this new Bundt pan instead my favorite loaf pan. The texture was very much like the Vegan Dates Cake that I bake often but if you do not mind indulging and love the “Britannia” or “Milka Wonder Cake” that are available in the market for your tea time, I would strongly recommend that you give the Choco Chip Nut Cake a try. I’m sure that you will not be disappointed at all. Now off to the recipe….
Sieve the dry ingredients. Grate the zest and squeeze out juice from oranges.
Whisk together wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients into the wet to make a batter.
Pour into the greased Bundt pan and bake away till done.
- All Purpose flour – 2 cups
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Oranges – 2
- Olive oil – 1/4 cup
- Sunflower oil – 1/4 cup
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Pre heat the oven @ 180 Degrees C. Grease the Bundt pan with oil and flour it. Keep aside.
- Sieve together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Mix sugar to this and keep aside.
- Cut the oranges into 2 and squeeze out the fresh juice. Grate the zest of the same oranges and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix together whisk together the squeezed out orange juice, grated zest, olive oil, sun flower oil and water.
- To this wet mixture add the dry sieved ingredients little by little while whisking at the same time making sure there are no lumps to form slightly thick batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan and shove into the pre heated oven.
- Bake for 50 Minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean. When done take off from the oven and let it come to room temperature before unmolding.
- Slice and serve along with coffee or tea.
The fresh juice that I squeezed from 2 oranges came to 1/2 cup approx.,
I have used a Bundt pan, but you can use loaf pan or also bake them into cup cakes.