Babycorn Pulao Recipe with Video. An easy & quick one pot meal, that can be packed in lunch box for school or office.
Both babycorn & mushroom make a good combo & when combined with black pepper, any dish with them is taken to a whole new level.
Next to Pudina Rice, both my boys love this babycorn pulao so much & I often make this to pack in their lunch boxes.
I have made this babycorn pulao in an open pan but if you do not wish to supervise & check on rice, then you can cook the same in a pressure cooker too.
Earlier I used to prefer cooking pulaos in pressure cooker but off late, I prefer making them in open pan as the vegetables don’t get over cooked in the pressure.
We love the slightly crunchy veggies in our pulaos which tastes really good when had with raw cucumber roundels & raita.
I have added some ghee along with oil to make this pulao more aromatic but if you wish to make it vegan, just replace ghee with oil & follow the recipe.
You can also peas & other veggies to make it a wholesome complete meal in itself. Instead of basmati rice which I have used here, you can use brown rice, quinoa or seeraga samba rice.
But while doing so, you have to keep in mind to adjust the water added as each rice have their own ratios & the time it takes to get cooked will also differ.
Babycorn Pulao Recipe Video below:
Do take a moment to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more easy and delicious recipes.
If you are looking for more one pot rice recipes to pack in your lunch box, then check out this,
Babycorn Pulao Recipe details below:
Babycorn Pulao Recipe
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Baby corn - 100 gms
- Button Mushroom - 100 gms
- Onion - 1
- Mint leaves - ¼ cup (packed)
- Green chilies - 1
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Water - 1-½ cups
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Ghee - 2 tsp
To be ground to a powder:
- Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
- Cardamom - 1
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon - 2 inch stick
- Kalpaasi / Black stone flower - 1 pinch
- Chop onion into juliennes.
- Wash & quarter button mushrooms.
- Break babycorn into 2 & further cut each half into 2.
- Wash & soak rice in water for 30 mins.
For the spice powder:
- Add fennel, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon & kalpaasi to a spice grinder or mixie jar & grind to a coarse powder. Set aside.
How to make Babycorn Pulao:
- Heat a pan. Add oil & ghee.
- Once its warm, add bay leaf.
- Add onions & saute till it turns translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste & saute well.
- Add mushrooms, babycorn, green chili & saute.
- Add mint leaves & saute all together till the mint shrinks in size.
- Add turmeric, black pepper, red chili powder, ground whole spices powder & mix well so that the vegetables get fully coated with the spice powders.
- Drain water completely from the rice & add it to the pan.
- Add water, salt & give it a mix.
- Close the pan with lid & let it cook over low flame for 12 to 15 mins or till the water gets fully evaporated.
- Fluff up the rice gently with a spoon or fork.
- Babycorn Pulao is ready.
- Serve hot with raita of your choice or pack it in lunch box for office or school.