This makes a perfect Party food for the kids and also a nutritional snack as it is loaded with cheese and veggies. A random experiment during one of the times when I baked the dinner rolls previously resulted in this and went on to become a big hit with the children. They loved it very much and also their friends when I packed off these for their school snacks. As I could not call them as Stuffed buns, I christened these as Cheesy Bread Cups. If you are not worried about the waist line and keep a check on calories, this makes a nice snack. Feel free to play with the stuffing part as that is the most interesting part in this and also in coming up with new names…..
Cheesy Bread Cups
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Capsicum – 1
- Processed cheese cube – 1 ( I used “Amul” brand)
- Tomato sauce – ¼ cup
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Mozzarella cheese (grated) – ¼ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
Chop onion, tomato and capsicum finely. Grate the cheese cube and keep it aside.
Cut off the top of the dinner roll and gently scoop or pull out the insides while making a cup and keep it aside. Keep the scooped out insides of the rolls aside as we are not going to waste it.
Heat a pan with oil. Add the onion and sauté till pink. Add tomato, salt and cook till the tomatoes become mushy. Add the capsicum and cook for a minute. Now add the red chilli powder and tomato sauce, cook for another minute. Let it cool a bit. Add the grated cheese cube and mix well.
If you feel that this mixture is mushy and soggy mix in the scooped insides of the rolls. This will absorb the excess moisture and make the stuffing firm.
Fill the bread cups with this filling and top it by sprinkling Mozzarella cheese over it. Keep it aside.
Pre heat the oven to 180 Deg C. Arrange these bread cups on a baking tray and slip it into the oven. Bake for 7-10 min or till the cheese on top melts. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- Don’t pluck too much from the insides as there is a danger of the filling falling out from the bottom. Keep the outer layer somewhat thick.
- You can also use cheese spread for a different flavor instead of processed cheese cube.
- Along with the vegetables you can also use grated paneer.
- You can also replace red chili powder with Chili sauce. But check the salt as both the sauces will have salt in them.
- Microwaving the cold cups for a minute will make them soft again and bring them back to life.