Chilli Paneer recipe. A vegetarian adaptation of the chilli chicken from the famous Indo Chinese Cuisine.
Usually hubby dear is not so enthusiastic about paneer dishes, complaining that it is very bland for his taste buds. So I made this dish very hot and spicy. I believe that he enjoyed both the paneer and the green chillies very much this time.
Chilli Paneer Recipe below:
For frying paneer:
- Paneer - 2oo gms
- Corn Flour - 3 tbsp
- All purpose flour - 2 tbsp
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup approx.,
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for deep frying
For stir frying:
- Onion - 1
- Capsium - 1
- Green chilli - 2
- Celery - 1 stalk
- Ginger - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Garlic - 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Spring onion greens - 2 tbsp for garnishing
- Sesame Oil - 2 tbsp
For the sauce:
- Dark soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- White vinegar - 1 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup - 2 tbsp
- Red chilli sauce - 1 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
For the slurry:
- Corn flour or corn starch- 3 tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cut the paneer into cubes and set aside.
- Quarter the onions and separate the petals.
- Chop the celery finely.
- Cut the capsicum into cubes and slit the green chillies.
For the slurry:
- In a bowl, mix the cornflour and water together until the corn flour dissolves completely and set aside till use.
For the sauces:
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients together - dark soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, chili sauce, sugar, pepper and set aside.
For frying the paneer:
- In a wide mixing bowl, add all the flours - corn flour, all purpose flour, rice flour, salt and black pepper.
- Add water little by little to make a batter. The batter should be free flowing but neither thick nor thin
- Out of 1/2 cup water, 2 tbsp was left over after making the batter.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai for deep frying.
- When it gets hot, dip each paneer cube into the batter and drop into the hot oil.
- Fry till the paneer cubes become golden brown in color and crisp in texture.
- Drain on to a kitchen paper towel and set aside.
To make chilli paneer:
- Heat a wok or pan with sesame oil.
- When the oil is hot, add garlic, ginger, celery and saute for a minute.
- Add the cubed onions, capsicum, slit green chillies and saute over high flame for 2 mins for the vegetables to remain crisp.
- Reduce the flame to medium. Add in the prepared sauce mixture and mix well to combine.
- Give the corn flour slurry a mix, add it to the pan and mix well.
- The sauce or the gravy will start to thicken.
- Add in the fried paneer cubes.
- Toss to combine well for the paneer cubes to get well coated with the sauce.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with spring onion greens.
- Serve this chilli paneer hot with noodles or fried rice.