Creamy Broccoli Lentil Soup with a video. I prefer to call it desi broccoli soup as it is spiced up with Indian flavors that’s quite filling and makes a wholesome meal when served with a crusty bread.
This creamy broccoli lentil soup is vegan, gluten free, low carb and full of fibre that is nutrient packed. No potato or white sauce is added to make it creamy.
I’ve never been that keen on soups as a standalone meal but off late I’ve started loving it as a part of my clean eating plan.
They are so versatile and keep playing with the flavors to suit your taste buds. Even in this soup you can add other vegetables like green peppers, carrots, peas and pumpkin.
And it really surprised me when my children loved it too when I served with a boule that I made using the sourdough starter.
Some croutons or even this Garlic Pull Apart Rolls will go really well with this soup. I’ve started to a make a whole pot of it and keep it refrigerated and eat it for dinner.
Creamy Broccoli Lentil Soup Recipe Video:
You can also add coconut milk to make it even more flavourful but its good if you are going to finish off the entire soup in one sitting.
I did not like the taste of the refrigerated soup to which coconut milk was added. So instead I added in coconut oil at the last to the soup to lock in the flavor.
If you do not have curry powder, you can skip adding it, leave out water and use vegetable broth instead which will add in the much need flavor.
Creamy Broccoli Lentil Soup Recipe details below:
Creamy Broccoli Lentil Soup Recipe
- Broccoli florets - 200 gms
- Masoor dal / Red Lentils - 2 tbsp
- Yellow Moong dal - 2 tbsp
- Onion - 1 small
- Tomato - 1 small
- Ginger - ½ inch piece
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Curry powder - ½ tbsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Mint leaves - ¼ cup
- Coconut oil - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - to taste
- Chili flakes - to taste (optional)
- Water - to taste
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cut onion and tomato into chunks.
- In a pressure cooker add masoor dal, moong dal, onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, mint leaves, broccoli florets, curry powder and turmeric powder.
- Add water, stir well and pressure cook over low flame for 3 whistles.
- Switch off and let the pressure release by itself and let it cool for few 5 - 1 0 mins.
- Transfer to a blender and blend it either to a smooth puree or chunky which ever way you prefer your soup to be of. You can also use a hand blender if you happen to have one.
- Transfer the blended soup into a sauce pan.
- Bring it to a boil on a simmer. Season with salt, sugar and black pepper to your taste.
- Add coconut oil and mix well with a spatula.
- Once it comes to a good boil, switch off stove.
- Add coriander leaves, lemon juice and stir well.
- Serve piping hot garnished with chili flakes and some crusty bread.
- You can make a large pot of this creamy broccoli lentil soup and refrigerate it for 4 to 5 days.
- Thaw it to room temperature and reheat before serving.