Dal Khichdi Recipe with step by step photos. A wholesome and nutritious one pot meal made using pressure cooker. Khichdi with dals (lentils), vegetables and greens to make it well balanced and healthy.
I have not added rice in this khichdi as I wanted it to be rich in protein and low in carbs.
This dal khichdi was much easier to make just for myself alone during the 2 weeks, when I was put on a gluten free diet to check for gluten intolerance.
Instead of having to try and make something elaborate for me, it got done in flat 15 – 20 mins.
To me, a bowl of Dal Khichdi is a comfort food which I would love to gorge in especially during the rainy days whether its for lunch or dinner.
It is a simple and humble one pot meal that can be made even by the children who are old enough to handle the stove and pressure cooker.
I personally prefer it a bit loose like a porridge, so cook it with lots of water than intended. If you like your dal khichdi to be a bit thick, reduce water measurement by 1/2 cup.
Dal Khichdi Recipe with stepwise photos:
1. Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin and let it sizzle. Add onions, ginger and saute till it turns pink.
2. Add chopped veggies and stir well.
3. Add greens, dals and mix well.
4. Add water, spice powders, turmeric, salt and mix well.
5. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Switch off and once pressure releases, open lid and mix vigorously with a spatula to make it mushy.
Serve this dal khichdi piping hot with a drizzle of ghee or coconut oil on top along with potato chips or any dry curry of your choice.
- Instead of Red chili powder, you can also use sambar powder, bisi bele bath masala powder or Vangi Bath Masala powder to make it more flavorful.
- Other than these veggies, you can also use broccoli and zucchini.
- For greens, you can use drumstick leaves, methi or regular spinach.
- Along with moong and masoor dal, you can also use Tur dal and Rice or Millets.
Dal Khichdi Recipe details below:
Dal Khichdi Recipe
- Yellow Moong dal - 2 tbsp
- Masoor Dal or pink dal - 2 tbsp
- Onion - 1 tbsp
- Tomato - 1 tbsp
- Carrot - 1 tbsp
- Beans - 1 tbsp
- Peas - 1/8 cup
- Red cabbage - 1 tbsp
- Murungai keerai or drumstick leaves or methi - 1 handful
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp grated
- Asafoetida - 2 pinch (optional)
- Red chili powder or Curry powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut oil or ghee - 1 tsp
- Chop onion, tomato, carrots, beans and cabbage finely and set aside.
- Wash both dals together and keep aside.
How to make Dal Khichdi:
- Heat a pressure pan with coconut oil.
- Add Asafoetida (if using), cumin seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add onions and stir. Add grated ginger, mix and cook till the onions turn pink.
- Add tomato, carrots, beans, peas, red cabbage and mix well.
- Add drumstick leaves or methi, Masoor dal. Moong dal and mix well.
- Add 2 cups water, red chili or curry powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix to combine.
- Close the pan with lid and let it cook for 3 whistles over medium flame.
- Switch off stove and let the pressure release by itself.
- Open lid, mix vigorously with a wooden ladle to mash everything together.
- Transfer the dal khichdi to a serving bowl.
- Drizzle a tsp of ghee or coconut oil on top and serve piping hot with some dry curry or potato chips.