Eggless Ragi Chocolate Cake recipe with step by step photos and video. This cake is made with 100% ragi (finger millet flour), so its gluten free and also butter free. Despite being gluten free, this cake turns out soft and does not end up dense and hard.
It took 2 previous attempts to get the perfect consistency that I was hoping for. As I did not want to add whole wheat or plain flour and condensed milk to the cake, it ended up coming out a bit dense and I felt that the cake will be good if I could add in more moisture to it.
My third attempt was more successful as I increased the quantity of some ingredients, added in little milk and pureed the bananas instead of simply mashing them with a fork in the bowl which I did during my previous attempts.
Despite using bananas, this will neither smell or taste like a banana cake. And also if you are frustrated that you are always ending up with a greasy and slimy banana cake, you should give this cake a try.
Also storing the cake in the refrigerator immensely improved the the chocolate flavor to come out. Though you can store this cake at room temperature itself for 3 to 4 days, I would advise you to put them in the fridge if you love a rich chocolate cake as that’s how this will taste.
If you are seeing little water droplets on top of the cake and the cut slice a bit dense, I had to take pictures of these immediately after taking them from the fridge as I was packing them for a potluck and did not have the time to let it rest.
Our Favorite Video:
But I had shared a beautiful slice on my Instagram story. Btw, if you are not following me on Instagram, please do so to get more updates and snippets.
Oh and did I say that all the 16 cakes that I made for the potluck was very much appreciated, raved about and I bagged some orders also.
As I had to pack them to carry along with me, I did not use a chocolate drizzle or ganache which I doubt would have stood well in this heat and high humidity.
But you can always serve your cake with a chocolate ganache or simply dusted with some powdered sugar on top leaving out adding white chocolate chips like I have added on top.
Eggless Ragi Chocolate Cake with stepwise photos:
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together ragi flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt together and set aside.
2. In a mixer jar, add bananas, milk and brown sugar.
3. Blend till smooth and there are no lumps remaining.
4. In a mixing bowl, add blended puree, coconut oil, vanilla extract and whisk well using a balloon whisk.
5. Add the dry flour mixture little by little and using a spatula mix gently till well incorporated.
6. Add walnuts, dark chocolate and once again mix gently.
7. Transfer to the greased pan. Sprinkle white chocolate chips on top evenly.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean. Timings will vary for each oven.
Eggless Ragi Chocolate Cake is ready once it completely cools down to room temperature to serve with coffee or tea.
Eggless Ragi Chocolate Cake Recipe Video:
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more such easy and delicious recipes.
Eggless Ragi Chocolate Cake recipe details below:
Eggless Ragi Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Ragi flour or Finger Millet Flour - 1 cup
- Cocoa powder - 1/2 cup
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Brown sugar - 3/4 cup
- Overripe Bananas - 3
- Coconut oil - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Walnuts - 3 tbsp toasted & chopped
- Dark chocolate chips - 3 tbsp
- White chocolate chips - 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven at 180 C or 350 F.
- Grease an 8 inch round or square pan with oil and set aside. I used 2 nos of 4.5 inch aluminium take away containers and did not grease it.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together ragi flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt together and set aside.
- In a mixer jar, add bananas, milk, brown sugar and blend till smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, add blended puree, coconut oil, vanilla extract and whisk well using a balloon whisk.
- Add the dry flour mixture little by little and using a spatula mix gently till well incorporated.
- Add walnuts, dark chocolate and once again mix gently.
- Transfer to the greased pan. Sprinkle white chocolate chips on top evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean. Timings will vary for each oven.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let it cool down a bit.
- Remove the cake out of the pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool down completely.
- Serve this eggless ragi chocolate cake slices with coffee or tea.