Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe with a chocolate buttercream frosting. An airy, spongy, light as a feather cake that also tastes similar to the butter cake that you get at the bakeries.
This is also my go to, never fail recipe for an eggless vanilla sponge cake. It was my little one’s birthday and as usual I ordered the cake from the bakery as I cannot bake a cake that is big enough to serve all his friends owing to a small oven.
But I always make a small cake for him at home. This one happens to be his absolute favorite and this time he wanted to do the frosting himself.
So I just made the frosting and both the kids had a great time spreading the frosting all over the cake amidst licking their fingers from the bowl.
The batter will indeed be thick so do not add more milk to thin the batter out.
You can replace condensed milk with thick yogurt but make sure you also increase the sugar by another 1/2 cup.
If adding yogurt, it should be fresh and not sour.
If after adding milk, you find the mixture to be a bit curdled, it is quite normal. Do not freak out and stop, but continue with the process.
You can also use 2 eggs instead of condensed milk and yogurt but make sure you add one at a time and beat well after each addition.
Check out other Eggless Baking recipes like,
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting recipe details below:
Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake
For the Cake:
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Corn flour – 4 tbsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Condensed milk – 1/4 cup
- Sugar - 1/4 cup heaped
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Powdered sugar – 2 cups
- Cocoa powder – 5 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C (360 F).
- Grease and flour an 8 inch pan and keep it ready.
- Powder the sugar in a mixie jar and keep aside.
Prepare the dry mixture:
- Sieve together flour, corn flour and baking powder together at least thrice.
Prepare the wet mixture:
- Beat butter till fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat well.
- Add condensed milk and beat once more.
- Add milk, mix well and switch to a spatula.
Prepare the cake batter:
- Add flour mixture in batches and mix in the same direction. (clock wise)
- Add vanilla essence, mix well and transfer the batter to the baking pan.
Bake the cake:
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or till a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down completely and invert it onto a plate. Set it aside to do the frosting.
Prepare the chocolate butter cream frosting:
- Make sure that the butter is in room temperature and softened.
- Sift together cocoa powder and powdered sugar and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter, add the sifted dry ingredients into the bowl and mix till the sugar is absorbed by the butter well.
- Add vanilla essence, salt and milk and beat for 2-3 minutes. I used my hand mixer but you can also use the balloon whisk to do the mixing.
- If you want the frosting to be thin and of a spreading consistency, add more milk by 1 tbsp at a time and in case if you want the frosting to be stiff consistency to pipe it out, add more sugar little at a time to get the exact preferred consistency.
- Drop the frosting on the cake and spread all over evenly and decorate either with colored sugar sprinkles, silver balls or chocolate curls.