Fruit Custard recipe. Mixed Fruit Custard makes an ultimate eggless dessert especially during summer time.
This delicious dessert is not only healthy but also requires very little cooking time and it is free of any fancy ingredients.
This is also an easy make ahead recipe. You can easily make it in advance, chill and serve.
Mixed Fruit Custard took India by storm during 90’s when the refrigerators started making its presence felt in the Indian Appliances Market and was fast becoming an essential appliance to be had in every Indian household.
Before that apart from kheers, Carrot Halwa was considered to be the most fanciest dessert that one can serve at get togethers or to guests especially in South India.
As I had guests at home for lunch, I made some Custard Powder Halwa and reserved some to make this easy dessert as I did not want to miss out on all the summer fruits that we get during the season.
This is one dessert that you can indulge in without having to worry to about high calories, feel guilty about your expanding waistlines and just dive right in.
It is pure heaven to gorge on this chilled dessert and will soon become your best friend especially on a hot summer day.
If using fruits that are frozen like frozen strawberries, thaw them before chopping.
Fruit Custard in reality requires no recipe at all as it is such a no brainer that even kids who are old enough to cook can rustle up this in no time.
Some mix the fruits with the custard and refrigerate but I do not like it that way.
The juices from the tart fruits will get mixed with the custard and while eating, the entire dessert will taste tart and sour.
I personally prefer this method which is sweetening both the custard and the fruits and refrigerating separately.
Sweetening the fruits not only acts as a coat and prevents them from getting discoloured quickly due to oxidisation.
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Fruit Custard Recipe details below:
Fruit Custard Recipe - Mixed Fruit Custard
- Custard powder - 3 tbsp Vanilla flavor
- Milk - 2 cups
- Sugar - 5 tbsp
- Mixed Fruits - ½ cup
- Honey - 2 tbsp
- I used banana, mango, pomegranate pearls, plums, strawberries, apple, pineapple and cherries.
- Make sure that all the fruits are not over ripe and squishy. They should be firm to the touch.
- Pit and remove the seeds from seeded and stoned fruits.
- Chop the fruits finely and take them in a bowl.
- Drizzle honey all over and toss well. Cling wrap the bowl and refrigerate till it is time to serve.
To Prepare Custard:
- Take ¼ cup milk in a bowl separately and keep aside.
- Heat the remaining milk in a sauce pan. When it begins to boil, add sugar and stir well and let it cook over medium flame.
- To the ¼ cup milk bowl, add custard powder and mix well till there are no lumps.
- Add this paste to the boiling milk and stir well to mix. Keep cooking over flame as the custard thickens.
- Take care not to let the bottom burn and keep stirring continuously for 3-4 mins.
- Remove from stove and let the custard become warm.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and cling wrap the bowl to prevent a skin from forming on top and refrigerate till use.
- Refrigerate both for at least an hour.
To serve fruit custard:
- Remove the clip wraps and whisk the custard to make sure there are no lumps and it is smooth.
- In individual serving bowls, place small scoops of chilled fruits till it is half full.
- Pour the custard all over the fruits till the bowl is almost full and let it settle.
- Serve with some chilled pomegranate pearls sprinkled and a cherry on top.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Browse plenty more quick & flavorful recipes easily by course, method, occasion & diet.