Garlic Murukku recipe with stepwise photos. Poondu Murukku as it is called in Tamil or Lahsun Chakli in Hindi is a flavorful savory that is made for Diwali or the best snack for tea time that is full of garlic aroma.
If you are a person who loves garlic flavor as much as we do, then this one is definitely for you. This is a family favorite of ours.
The base of this murukku is using homemade processed rice flour. If you do not have the time to make at home, then use store-bought idiyappam flour or rice flour.
Kadala maavu or besan is also used to make this murukku which adds to the viscosity of the dough.
Pottukadalai maavu or roasted gram dal powder which is powdered in a mixie jar is added to make the murukku more crunchy.
Garlic & Red Chilies:
Garlic & while dry red chilies are added for flavor. Both are soaked in water to soften them & then ground to a paste before adding to the flour to make the dough.
Ghee is added for aroma & this also keeps the dough the dough from drying out to make it easy to squeeze out of the mould.
Salt & water:
Salt is added for taste & water is added to make the dough.
Use refined groundnut oil for deep frying to get a good taste & for the snack to remain fresh longer.
To make this Garlic Murukku,
1. Soak garlic and red chilies together in hot water for 1/2 to one hour and transfer to a mixed jar.
2. Grind to a fine paste and pass it through a sieve to remove any leftover seeds.
3. Sieve the flours together, add salt and mix well. Add ghee, hot oil, and mix with your fingertips till it resembles bread crumbs.
4. Now add the filtered garlic and red chili water.
5. Make a smooth dough.
6. Fill the dough into the murukku press fitted with a one-star nozzle.
7. Pipe out the murukku on a clean plastic sheet into a circle, rotating your hand in a circular motion.
8. Slip the piped-out murukku into the hot oil and cook till golden brown and till the sizzling of the oil stops.
9. Drain into a kitchen paper. Garlic Murukku is ready.
1. Keep the dough always covered. Else the dough will dry out and the murukku will keep breaking and will become dark upon deep frying.
2. My murukkus were red because of the red chili variety I used. If you wish to have a whiter-looking murukku, leave out the red chili or you can use green chili in its place.
Let the garlic murukku come down to room temperature first. Then store in a clean & dry airtight container.
These Garlic Murukku stay crisp & crunchy for up to a fortnight. Store only at room temperature.
See more Diwali Recipes
Garlic Murukku – Poondu Murukku
- 3 cups Processed Rice Flour or Idiyappam flour
- 3/4 cup Kadala maavu or besan
- 4 tbsp Pottukadalai maavu or roasted gram dal powder
- 6 to 8 Garlic
- 4 Whole dry red chilies
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Hot oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Soak garlic and whole dry red chili in 1/2 cup hot water for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- Transfer to a mixie jar & grind to a smooth paste. Pass through a sieve.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan and once hot simmer the flame.
- Sieve processed rice flour, kadalai maavu & pottukadalai maavu together in a bowl. Add salt to it and mix.
- Make a well in the center. Add ghee, hot oil from the pan, and mix carefully with your fingertips till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the garlic and red chili paste extract and mix. Use little extra water if needed & make a smooth dough.
- Grease the murukku mould with little oil. Insert a one-star nozzle and keep it ready.
- Fill the mould with the dough and press out murukku in a spiral shape onto a plastic sheet or butter paper.
- Check the temperature of the oil by dropping a pea-sized ball from the dough. If it rises immediately to the top the temperature is correct.
- Slip the piped-out murukkus one by one into the hot oil and deep fry to a golden brown till the sizzling of the oil stops.
- Deep fry 2 to 3 murukkus at a time or only till the pan is able to hold. Do not crowd the pan else the murukku will break.
- Drain the murukku onto kitchen paper. Continue with the rest of the dough.
- Garlic murukku is ready. Let the murukkus cool down to room temperature before you store them in an air-tight container.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Browse plenty more quick & flavorful recipes easily by course, method, occasion & diet.