Garlic Murukku recipe or poondu murukku as its called in Tamil with step by step pictures is very flavorful and full of garlic aroma.
If you are a person who loves garlic flavor very much as we do then this one is definitely for you. This is a family favorite of ours.
Our Favorite Video:
It tastes absolutely yummy with a cup of tea to enjoy for an evening snack.
Points to note:
- Keep the dough always covered. Else the dough will dry out and the murukku will keep breaking and will become dark upon deep frying.
- My murukkus were red because of the red chili variety I used. If you wish to have a whiter looking murukku, leave out the red chili.
Step wise Garlic Murukku or Poondu Murukku Recipe Below:
Soak garlic and red chilli together in hot water for 1/2 to one hour and grind to a fine paste and pass it through a sieve to remove any left over seeds.
Sieve the flours together, add salt and mix well. Add ghee, hot oil and mix with your finger tips till it resembles bread crumbs.
Now use the filtered garlic and red chilli water to make a smooth dough. Find how to make processed rice flour.
Fill the dough into the murukku press fitted with one star nozzle and press out the murukku on a clean plastic sheet into a circle, rotating your hand in a circular motion.
Transfer the piped out murukku into the hot oil and cook till golden brown and till the sizzling of the oil stops and drain into a kitchen paper.
Garlic Murukku Recipe details below:
Garlic Murukku Recipe – Poondu Murukku Recipe
- Processed Rice Flour - 3 cups
- Kadala maavu or besan - 3/4 cup
- Pottukadalai maavu or roasted gram dal powder - 4 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Garlic - 6 to 8 pods
- Whole dry red chili - 4
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Hot oil - 1 tbsp
- Oil - for deep frying
- Soak garlic and whole dry red chili in 1/2 cup hot water for 1 to hours.
- Grind to a smooth paste and pass it through a sieve.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Sieve all the flours together in a bowl and add salt to it and mix.
- Add ghee, hot oil from the pan and mix carefully with your finger tips till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the garlic and red chili paste extract and make a smooth dough. Use little extra water if needed.
- Grease the murukku mould with little oil. Insert one star nozzle and keep it ready.
- Fill the mould with the dough and press out murukku in a spiral shape onto a plastic sheet or butter paper.
- Check the temperature of the oil by dropping a small ball of the dough. If it rises immediately to the top the temperature is correct.
- Drop the piped out murukkus one by one into the hot oil and deep fry to a golden brown till the sizzling of the oil stops.
- Deep fry 2 to 3 murukkus at a time or only till the pan is able to hold. Do not crowd the pan else the murukku will break.
- Drain the murukku onto a kitchen paper. Continue with the rest of the dough.
- Let the murukkus cool down to room temperature before you store in an air tight container.