Homemade Dinner Rolls or Eggless Pav Buns recipe. These dinner rolls are perfect to be served along with bhaji, they are great to mop up thick gravy or to make a wholesome meal when served along with a bowl of piping hot soup.
This is one recipe that I have tried many a times, to perfect it and to overcome my fear of yeast. Never knew that I could learn so many little things about the science of bread baking from this simple homemade dinner rolls recipe.
I’ve always thought that success of baking a bread solely depended on the yeast factor, I was blatantly proved wrong and stand corrected after a conversation with my bakery owner friend. The quality of the flour used is also important. The fresher the flour is, the fluffier and softer will be your dinner rolls.
So now I always buy fresh flour from the shop and use that for baking bread. No more buying in bulk. This recipe is adapted from about.com though I have avoided using eggs and made them as eggless pav buns.
Points to note while making Homemade dinner rolls:
1. I have used Instant yeast, so added it directly to the flour. If using active dry yeast, you need to proof it before adding it to the flour.
2. Check the yeast by proofing a little amount in warm water to which a tbsp of sugar is added. If it does not become frothy after 10 min the yeast is dead and so discard it. If you are to go ahead without checking it, your dough will not raise at all.
3. The water should be warm and not hot. Hot water kills yeast.
4. Like wise the milk has to be hot enough for the butter to melt but not scalding hot.
5. Microwaving the cold rolls for a min will make them soft and bring them back to life.
6. Oven timings may vary accordingly.
Our Favorite Video:
– Before baking brush the top of the rolls with milk for an even browning of the top. You can also use melted butter or egg white wash instead.
– As soon as you pull out the baked dinner rolls out of the oven, run a cube of butter over the dinner rolls. They will not only give a beautiful glaze on top but will also make the dinner rolls to stay soft.
Homemade Dinner Rolls Recipe details below:
Homemade Dinner Rolls - Eggless Pav Buns
- All purpose flour – 3-1/2 Cups + more for dusting
- Instant Dry Yeast – 2 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Vegetable oil – for greasing
- Heat milk and water together to lukewarm temperature. I microwave it for 1 minute. Add butter and keep aside for it to melt.
- In a mixing bowl, add 3 cups flour, instant dry yeast, sugar, salt and whisk to mix.
- Pour the lukewarm melted milk-butter mixture and mix well with a spatula to make a dough. It will be very sticky.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour little by little sprinkling over the dough while working with your hand.
- Punch the dough with your fist and it will spread. Fold it to the center and again punch it. Follow this method and keep working the dough for 6-7 min.
- The dough will actually spring back to your touch at this stage and it will be firm yet pliant and soft.
- Grease a bowl with oil and place the dough in it. Coat your palm with oil and apply all over the dough’s surface.
- Close the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rest for 1 to 1-1/2 hrs for the dough to double up in size.
- After the resting time punch the dough to let the air out. Pat the dough by your hands on a work surface greased with flour.
- Cut into squares and work each square into a roll tucking the edges under the surface.
- Place these shaped rolls in a greased square baking tray and let it again rest for 30 to 45 min in a warm place.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 Deg C.
- Brush milk over the rolls and sprinkle white sesame seeds over them (optional) before slipping them into the oven and bake for 20-25 min.
- You can also turn the grill mode on for 4-5 mins after baking is complete to an even browning of top of the rolls.
- Take the pan out of the oven and immediately run a cube of butter over the hot rolls to give a good glaze on top.
- Homemade dinner rolls are ready. Serve warm with a glass of milk or gravy or soups.