Hot, Sweet Sour Vegetables Recipe - A melange of vegetables cooked in a thick, tangy and spicy tomato sauce that simply bursts into a myriad of flavors in your mouth. This recipe is vegan, gluten free and an Indo-Chinese preparation with all the Asian flavors going into it.
You can serve this as a side dish with Chinese Veg Noodles, Egg Noodles or any variety rice of your choice. I served it with Veg fried rice. The rice tasted absolutely mouth watering with this hot sweet sour vegetables.
The kids at home are die hard fans of Indo-Chinese cuisine and they always demand that I make something of that at least once a week.
This hot, sweet sour vegetables require no deep frying, has no added food color and I have used mixed vegetables here to prepare this saucy side dish. You can always add or sub any vegetables depending on the availability at your home.
I have added a lot of garlic here to make it more pungent as that’s how we like it. I had some red chili paste left over when I made the sambal paste to make some Baby potato sambal and I made use of that to make this side dish.
If you do not have any chili paste, you can always use red chili powder or red chili sauce. Since we are adding both green chili and the red chili paste, adjust the ingredients accordingly to suit your spice level.
Make sure that you not over cook till it becomes very thick. It should be a bit thin as it will keep thickening as it cools down. This Hot Sweet Sour Vegetables go well with fried rice, noodles, pulao and if you like, you can also have it with chapathis.
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Hot Sweet Sour Vegetables recipe details as follows:
Hot Sweet Sour Vegetables Recipe
- Mixed Vegetables – 1 cup (I used carrots, cauliflower, broccoli & capsicum)
- Mushrooms – 4
- Onion - 1 big
- Green Chilli – 2
- Garlic – 8
- Tomato sauce – ¼ cup
- Red Chilli paste or Red chilli sauce – 3 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 2 tsp
- Aji-no- moto or Chinese salt – 2 pinch (optional)
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- White vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Corn flour or Corn starch - 1-½ tbsp
- Water – 1 to 1-½ cups
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cut the cauliflower and Broccoli into bite sized florets. Chop the garlic finely.
- Cube the carrots, capsicum and onion. Slice the mushrooms thinly. Cut the green chilli into 2 or 3 pieces.
How to make Hot Sweet Sour Vegetables:
- Steam the vegetables (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower). I microwaved them at high for 2 mins in a partially closed container.
- Heat a wok with oil. When the oil is hot add garlic and sauté till you get a nice aroma.
- Add the green chilli and give it a stir. Add onion and sauté for a minute.
- Add the bell pepper, mushrooms, aji-no-moto (if using) and sauté for another min over high flame, till they shrivel a bit.
- Add red chili paste, tomato sauce, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, salt and cook for another min.
- Add the steamed vegetables and mix it well so that they are all coated with the sauces. Let it cook over medium flame for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add water and bring it to a boil till you see the bubbles around the wok. Check salt at this stage and add more if required.
- Meanwhile in a bowl take the corn flour and add little water to it while mixing it making sure that there are no lumps.
- Pour this cornflour solution and mix well.
- Increase the flame to high and cook for 1 to 2 mins.
- The sauce will thicken a bit and you can see a glossy sheen over the vegetables.
- Switch off and take off from the stove.
- Hot sweet sour vegetables are ready.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot with fried rice, veg pulao or noodles.