Moong Sprouts Pav Bhaji Recipe – A healthier version of the most popular Bombay pav bhaji. Pav Bhaji in itself is a wholesome and a proper balanced meal in itself. And if you make it at home, I believe everyone can enjoy this healthy street food without feeling guilty about health issues.
I love using sprouts as they are healthy and protein rich. But I never wanted to restrict them to just a salad. I often make pesarattu dosa with moong bean sprouts or a filling conjee too but it just gets monotonous sometimes.
Both the kids love sprouts in general and my little one can eat them as such. So the other day when the kids were asking for pav bhaji and I had only potatoes and sprouts in abundance, I decided to make this moong sprouts pav bhaji.
I also managed to make some pav buns from scratch also, which made the entire street food eating experience at home more enjoyable.
Apart from serving this with pav buns, these moong bean sprouts pav bhaji can also be served as a side dish for chapathis and pooris. You can also serve it as a frankie. I sometimes spread them on dosa too which the kids seem to love.
Other than sprouts you can also add other vegetables and any sprouts should do well in this recipe. I have steamed the moong sprouts as they get cooked very quickly while retaining their nutrients also.
But if you are going to use any other sprouts from chick peas or moth beans, I would suggest pressure cooking them for a longer time as they take some time to cook.
Moong sprouts pav bhaji recipe details below:
Moong Sprouts Pav Bhaji
- Moong sprouts – 1 cup
- Potatoes - 2 medium
- Onion – 1
- Tomatoes – 3
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Pav bhaji masala powder – 2 tbsp
- Garam masala power – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Onion rings and lemon wedges - to serve
- Chop the onions finely. Puree the tomatoes.
- Slit the green chilli. Wash and scrape the skin off the potatoes and cut them into cubes.
How to make Moong Sprouts Pav Bhaji:
- Pressure cook both moong sprouts and cubed potatoes together for 2 whistles in enough water.
- Once the pressure releases, drain the cooked water, if any and set aside to be used later.
- Heat a pan with butter and oil together. Once the butter melts, add onion and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add ginger garlic, slit green chili and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric, red chili, pav bhaji masala powder and mix well. The contents of the pan will look very dry now.
- Add tomato puree, sprouts cooked water, if set aside and mix well.
- Close the pan and cook for 5 mins over low flame.
- Add cooked sprouts and potatoes, garam masala powder, salt and mix well.
- Using a masher gently mash the sprouts, potato into the masalas while simmering the contents of the pan.
- Cook over low flame for 7 to 10 mins for all the flavors to come together.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves.
- Serve this moong sprouts pav bhaji with hot buttered pav buns along with onion rings and lemon wedges.