These are battered mushrooms, deep-fried & then tossed along with crunchy onions, capsicum & spice powders.
Just imagine this fry as a desi version of Indo-Chinese Manchurian without the sauces but made with Indian spices that taste spicy & hot.
Making this Kaalaan Milagu Varuval will also prove to be a fantastic gastronomic experience when eaten as an appetizer or along with rice or chapati as a side dish.
Table of Contents:
This Mushroom Pepper Fry is
- lip-smacking delicious
If you are fasting & missing out on non-veg food, this fry would hit all the right spots both in taste and texture-wise.
Mushrooms: Button Mushrooms are the best to use in this fry. Clean them well before use.
Other vegetables: Onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, green chilli & capsicum.
Spice powders: Red chilli, coriander, black pepper & turmeric powders
Batter: Corn flour or starch, All-purpose flour, Rice flour, salt & water.
Oil: I used refined groundnut oil for deep frying & cold-pressed gingerly oil for sauteing.
To make Mushroom Pepper Fry,
In a bowl, mix - cornflour, all-purpose flour, rice flour & salt.
Add ¼ to ⅓ cup water little by little and make a thin batter.
Add sliced mushrooms into the batter.
Mix with fingertips till the mushrooms are coated well & mixed into a mass.
Drop spoonfuls of battered mushrooms into the hot oil.
Deep fry till crisp & brown.
Drain into a plate & set this aside.
Heat a skillet with gingelly oil. When hot add green chili, followed by onions.
Add minced garlic.
Add minced ginger.
Saute till onions turn pink.
Now add capsicum & tomato.
Tip in the spice powders - coriander, red chilli, turmeric & black pepper powder & mix well to combine.
Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoon water, salt & mix well to combine.
Cook over medium flame for 2 to 3 mins.
Add the deep-fried mushrooms to the pan and mix well till the vegetables & masala coat the mushrooms.
Mushroom pepper fry is ready. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot with fried rice.
Using freshly crushed black peppercorns makes this dish tastier.
Do not rest the mushrooms after adding them to the batter. Deep fry them immediately.
These pepper mushroom fry are
- Nut Free
If you do not like to use mushrooms, you can use baby corn, sweet corn kernels, cauliflower or bajji molaga.
You can try this very spicy Andhra version, Mushroom Vepudu which is similar but uses different spices.
It is best to consume it piping hot as refrigerating will make the fry soggy & slimy.
You can deep fry the mushrooms in advance a few hours before & mix them to the vegetables just before serving.
This mushroom pepper fry goes well with,
More Mushroom Recipes
see more Side Dish Recipes
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to email@example.com
Mushroom Pepper Fry Recipe
- 200 gms Button Mushrooms thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon Tomato chopped
- ¼ cup Capsicum cubed
- 2 Green chili slit lengthwise
- ½ tablespoon Ginger minced
- ½ tablespoon Garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ to 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Black pepper freshly crushed
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon Gingelly oil
- Salt to taste
- Spring onion greens for garnish
For the batter
- ¼ cup Corn flour or Corn starch
- 2 tablespoon All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon Rice flour
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- In a bowl, mix corn flour, all-purpose flour, rice flour & salt together.
- Add ¼ to ⅓ cup water little by little and make a thin smooth flowing batter.
Deep fry Mushrooms
- Add sliced mushrooms into the batter and mix with fingertips till the mushrooms are coated well.
- Meanwhile, add oil to a deep fry pan and let it become hot.
- Drop spoonfuls of battered mushrooms into the hot oil and deep fry till crisp & brown.
- Drain into a plate. If the clusters are large, break them into bite-sized pieces & set them aside.
Make mushroom pepper fry
- Heat a skillet with gingelly oil. When hot add green chili, followed by onions, garlic, ginger & saute till onions turn pink.
- Add capsicum, tomato, spice powders - coriander, red chili, turmeric & black pepper powder. Mix well to combine.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoon water, salt & mix well to combine.
- Cook over medium flame for 2 to 3 mins. The veggies will soften & the raw smell of the spice powders will be gone.
- Add the deep-fried mushrooms to the pan and mix well till the vegetables & masala coat the mushrooms.
- Mushroom pepper fry is ready. Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot with fried rice.
- Using freshly crushed black peppercorns makes this dish tastier.
- Do not rest the mushrooms after adding them to the batter. Deep fry them immediately.