I’m truly enjoying cooking mushrooms after finding out that I’m after all not allergic to it as I had previously thought. Children at home love it too and now-a-days I cook mushrooms at least once a week owing to the fact they have high content of protein. Unfortunately they are so bland to suit our palate and I have to look for ways to make it more spicy and hot especially if you are so used to eating your food that way. This pepper fry is one such real hot dish that you will love eating let alone cook as it is one of the easiest dish to prepare that can be enjoyed with chappathis.
Mushroom Pepper Fry / Pepper Mushrooms
- Mushrooms – 1 pkt / 200 gms
- Capsicum / bell pepper – 1 (optional)
- Onion – 3
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Tomatoes – 3
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 3
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turermic powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnish
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Clean the mushrooms and slice them. Cut the onion length wise into juliennes. De seed and cube the capsicum, if using. Slice the tomatoes.
Heat oil in a pan. Add fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and fry till you get a nice aroma. Add onions and sauté till pink and soft. Add ginger garlic paste, tomatoes and cook for 2 more mins till the raw smell disappears.
Add the coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Cook till the mixture becomes mushy. Add the cubed capsicum and sliced mushrooms, enough water (1/4 cup approx.,), salt and mix well. Close with a lid and cook for 3-4 mins.
Both capsicum and mushrooms would have softened by now. Sprinkle black pepper powder, garam masala powder, coriander leaves and toss once. Simmer for 2 mins so that the pepper powder could coat the mushrooms well.
Garnish with more coriander leaves and serve hot with naan, roti or even variety rice.
- As we are adding both red chilli powder and pepper powder adjust spice level according to your taste.
- The duo of mushroom and capsicum is a match made in heaven. Omit capsicum if you do not have at hand.
- As we are already adding whole spices you can omit the garam masala powder.