No knead Focaccia from scratch to table in just 1 hour with stepwise photos. This Italian flat bread is totally Vegan, fuss free, has a good crust that absolutely needs no kneading or stretching at all and follows a typical dump and bake style.
This is one of the most easiest breads that you can hope to bake even if you do not have any prior experience in baking breads.
All this no knead focaccia needs is the prep time when you mix the dough, dump it into the pan to raise for an hour and pop the pan into the hot oven to bake. How simple could baking a bread get, right?
The kids were asking for a complete Italian meal for a long time. I chose a holiday for that so we all could enjoy the food at leisure. So when I planned on making some Roasted Tomato Basil Soup, I was looking for a crusty bread to serve along with that. I wanted the bread to be super simple which does take me an entire day to get baked.
I remember bookmarking this simple Blitz bread from King Arthur Flour site long back. This No knead Focaccia bread is adapted from the same recipe that gets done so easily. Whenever a soup calls out for some crusty bread to dip in, this should be the one to accompany it.
Though we loved dipping the focaccia slices in that lovely soup, I loved it as a sandwich using the basil flaxseed pesto as a sandwich spread as it was an explosion of flavours and textures in my mouth.
The thickness of the focaccia will depend on the pan you bake. I used a sheet pan, but you can use even a round pan to bake this focaccia. Like I said, this bread is totally fuss free and you can go a-la-carte with regard to the topping.
I used some fresh Rosemary as topping but you can top it with olives, concord grapes, cherry tomatoes, freshly chopped basil, sun dried tomatoes or simply a mix of dry Italian herbs would also suffice.
No Knead Focaccia with stepwise photos:
1. In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, instant yeast, italian seasoning (if using) and mix well.
2. To the warm water, add 3 tbsp olive oil.
3. Drop the sticky dough into the greased pan and gently pat down.
4. Cover the pan with a cling film and let it rise for 1 hour or till its puffy to the touch.
5. Make indents all over the surface by poking with your index finger. Do not make a hole right through to the bottom of the pan.
6. Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary or any dried herbs of your choice (if using). Bake the bread in preheated oven at 190 C degrees till its golden brown on top for 25 to 30 mins.
No Knead Focaccia Recipe details below:
No Knead Focaccia Recipe - Easy Rosemary Focaccia
- All Purpose flour - 3-1/2 cups
- Instant yeast - 1 tbsp
- Olive oil - 6 tbsp divided
- Warm water - 1-1/2 cups
- Salt - 1-1/4 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp optional
- Fresh Rosemary - 1 tbsp optional
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan with oil and then pour 2 tbsp olive oil into the pan. Keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, instant yeast, italian seasoning (if using) and mix well.
- To the warm water, add 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour the water-oil mix into the well. Make a sticky dough either by using your hands or by using an electric mixer to which dough hooks are attached.
- Drop the sticky dough into the greased pan and gently pat down. Cover the pan with a cling film and let it rise for 1 hour or till its puffy to the touch.
- Preheat the oven at 190 C or 375 F.
- Remove the cling film from the pan and make indents all over the surface by poking with your index finger. Do not make a hole right through to the bottom of the pan.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary or any dried herbs of your choice (if using).
- Bake the bread till its golden brown for 25 to 30 mins.
- Remove from oven and rest for 5 mins. Gently transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve this No knead Focaccia bread warm with any soup of your choice for a complete meal.