I love citrus flavors. Period… But, but… I prefer lemons for summer and oranges for winter. I think there is no harm in taking sides as long as you love them both right. I love baking quick breads as it saves so much of your time unlike the yeasted breads and you can just play around with flavors of your choice. I came across this recipe while waiting for my turn to meet with Arjun’s Doctor on a routine check-up. This recipe has been adapted from an old “Prevention Magazine” lying on the Reception table.
It is originally a cranberry bread and since I do not happen to get fresh ones I substituted with tutti fruti. After the Mini Buns and Tea cake, a bread with them seemed a good idea. If you are one of the lucky ones who happens to get fresh cranberries, use them by all means. I’m so sorry for the sudden disappearance for the past few days. My internet connection was not working and I got it rectified only yesterday. So will catch up with you all in another day or two.
Orange Tutti Fruti Bread
- All Purpose Flour, sifted – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1-1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Egg, beaten – 1
- Orange Juice – 3/4 cup
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Tutti Fruti – 1 cup
- Orange Zest, grated – 1 tsp (optional)
Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Grease a loaf pan and keep it ready. In a small cup place the tutti fruti and sprinkle flour over it. Toss well to get the tutti fruti well coated and keep it aside.
Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter and mix with your finger tips until crumbly. Add the beaten egg and orange juice. Stir until just combined, do not over mix. (Refer here for this step).
Now fold in tutti fruti and grated orange zest, if using and mix gently.
Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- The actual recipe stated 1 cup of orange juice but it took me just 3/4 cup. So use your judgment while adding and do not pour the juice in one go.
- I omitted the vanilla essence and chose to keep the orange zest for the flavoring.
- Adding orange zest is optional. Though it gives out a wonderful flavor sometimes it gives out a bitter taste as well.