No trip to the beach is complete without this quintessential “Manga Thenga Pattani Sundal”. But I love this one which they sell in beaches. It is spicy, tangy and hot and a pleasure to munch on from the paper cones in which they serve while looking at the waves crashing in… I personally think that any chaat or street food is very healthy provided they are made in home, prepared in a healthy way without compromising on the taste.
Peanut Chaat ~ Beach Style
- Raw shelled peanuts – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Carrot – 1
- Tomato – 1 (optional)
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Green chilli – 1
- Red Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- salt – to taste
Pressure cook the peanuts with two pinch salt for 1 whistle. The peanuts should be cooked well and soft to the touch but take care not to over cook as it will become mushy. I microwaved them***
Finely chop the onion, tomatoes and green chilli. Grate the carrots or you can also chop them fine. In a small bowl shake together red chili powder, chaat masala and salt together.
In another bowl combine boiled peanuts, onion, tomatoes, carrots and coriander leaves together. Sprinkle the red chili, chaat masala all over the peanut mixture and toss well so that they are all mixed up.
Now add the lemon juice and toss well. Serve piping hot.
*** How to boil / cook peanuts in a Microwave:
- Place the dry peanuts in a micro wave proof vessel and 1 tbsp of water. Mix well so that the peanuts are damp. Close with lid. Microwave at high for 2 min. Add 1 tsp of water after a minute or so if it becomes dry.
- Mix well and once again close with lid and microwave at high for another 1 min.
- Now add salt and add 1 tsp of water and toss well. Close with lid and microwave again for another 1 min. Peanuts are boiled and ready to use.
- You can remove the seeds of the tomatoes and green chilli before using.
- The peanuts should hold their shape. They should be cooked, crunchy and not mushy and over boiled.
- Instead of tomatoes you can also add raw mango during the season.
This is off to my Winter Carnival.