Potato Oil Roast recipe with stepwise photos. A very simple heirloom recipe from my family that tastes excellent when served as a side dish with rice. It is easy to cook & also goes well with both chapathis & pooris.
This roast recipe is a signature dish of my Grandma and is most loved by all of us at home. It is a custom to welcome the bridegroom into the family by holding a grand luncheon in the bride’s home in all the families across India.
In that luncheon menu, this potato oil roast is a must in my family according to my family’s custom. The ‘Madhiya Virudhu’ is incomplete without this roast, which is served as a side dish along with an elaborate spread & desserts.
Though this roast is calorie-dense as the potatoes are deep-fried in oil, this can be enjoyed occasionally on luncheons or get-togethers. I make this for our wedding anniversary whenever nostalgia strikes me.
Potatoes are the most loved vegetable that gives a satiating experience after eating them, and I’m sure you will love making this recipe using them.
Potato oil roast is a simple recipe that is made with just a handful of ingredients found in the pantry.
This is made by parboiling the potatoes & deep-frying them in oil. A masala is then made with onions, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste & spice powders.
To this masala, the deep-fried potatoes are added and then tossed together before serving them.
It sounds delicious, right?, so waste no time and go make this potato oil roast ASAP.
Potatoes: This tuber is the star of the dish. It is boiled and deep-fried before getting roasted again. It is almost like double roasting.
Other vegetables: Onion and tomatoes that add the crunch to the dish and also more volume. Apart from that, ginger garlic paste is also used to make the masala.
Seasoning: Mustard seeds and Urad dal are used.
Spice Powders: Turmeric, red chilli and garam masala.
Other ingredients: Salt to taste, oil to deep-fry & cook the roast and coriander leaves for garnishing.
How to make potato oil roast
Let's see how to make potato oil roast by following these stepwise instructions,
Drop boiled cubed potatoes into hot oil in batches & deep-fry.
Fry till they turn golden brown.
Continue deep-frying all the potatoes in small batches & drain onto a plate.
Season mustard seeds till they crackle and roast urad dal to golden brown in oil.
Add onions and sauté till they turn pink.
Now tip in the tomatoes, a pinch of salt and cook till they turn mushy.
Sprinkle a little water & cook till the gravy forms and add cubed potatoes to the gravy.
Mix well and let the potatoes merge well with the masala. Cook for 1 more min.
Garnish with coriander leaves & serve this potato oil roast with hot rice.
You can squeeze lemon juice over the roast just before serving to balance out all the flavours.
Make sure not to overcook potatoes till they become mushy. If you do that, it will drink more oil while deep-frying.
Cook the potatoes till they are soft yet firm.
If you do not like to add ginger garlic paste, then crush 4 to 5 garlic and sauté them along with onions.
This potato oil roast recipe is
- Nut Free
FAQ's on potato oil roast
You can try this same roast recipe with other tubers like baby potatoes, yam, sweet potato or elephant yam as well.
Yes, you can choose either to air fry or bake the parboiled potatoes to avoid deep-frying in oil. But understand that the taste will not be the same as deep-fried in oil.
This roast tastes best when served hot on the same day. In case there are any leftovers, refrigerate and use it on the next day itself. Do not store beyond that.
See more Side dish recipes for Rice
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to email@example.com
Potato Oil Roast Recipe
Cooking the potatoes
- Wash and scrub the potatoes well. Scrape the skin using a peeler and place them in a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water, 2 pinches salt and pressure cook the potatoes for 2 whistles over high flame & switch off the stove.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and drain the water. You can either cube the potatoes or crumble them into big chunks with your fingertips after it cools down. Keep it aside.
Deep frying potatoes
- Heat oil in a pan for frying. Add the potatoes in small batches and deep fry over medium flame till they are light golden brown and slightly crisp. Drain into a plate and set this aside.
Make potato oil roast
- Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon oil over medium flame. Add mustard seed and let them splutter. Add urad dal and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add onions and sauté till they turn pink. Add tomato, a pinch of salt and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy and become soft.
- Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoon water, mix well and cook for 2 to 3 mins for the raw flavours of the spice powders to leave & till a thick gravy forms.
- Add the deep fried potatoes and mix well to combine with the masala. Cook for 1 more min & switch off the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve this potato oil roast as a side with rice.