Pottukadalai Murukku recipe with step by step pictures. This Roasted Gram Dal Murukku is probably the most easiest instant murukku recipe that you can make for bakshanam for any special festivals like Diwali or Krishna Jayanthi.
An easy savory that is best suited especially for working women who are short on time but who really make it a must to make something homemade for prasadham instead of opting for store bought bakshanams.
This pottukadalai murukku is very crisp and crunchy and takes just a handful of ingredients and less time too. There is no need for prep work like soaking or grinding batter etc.,
You can use either homemade rice flour or store bought idiyappam flour to make this pottukadalai murukku. I use either depending on its availability.
If you are using store bought besan (kadalai maavu) make sure that you sieve well at least twice to get rid of small lumps.
Our Favorite Video:
If you do not sieve well, you will not be able to squeeze out the dough seamlessly and it will keep breaking.
You can either squeeze out the murukku directly into the hot oil if you do not find hot oil daunting.
But I personally prefer to press them out on a ladle or plastic sheet as they are not only neat and mess free but also safe.
How to make Pottukadalai Murukku recipe with step wise photos:
1. Grind pottukadalai (roasted gram dal) finely in a mixie jar and transfer to a sieve. Add rice flour, besan and sieve well without any lumps.
2. Add salt, cumin seeds, ghee and mix with your finger tips.
3. Add water little by little and mix into a smooth and soft dough.
4. Grease the Murukku mould with oil and insert the star nozzle and keep it ready.
5. Heat oil in a deep pan. Fill the mould with dough and press out Murukku on a flat ladle or a plastic sheet.
6. Tip the pressed out Murukku into the hot oil and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium flame. Gently flip to the other and cook till golden brown and the sizzling of the oil stops. Drain on a kitchen paper.
Pottukadalai Murruku is ready. Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.
You can also check out these other bakshanams,
Pottukadalai Murukku recipe details below:
Pottukadalai Murukku Recipe
- Pottukadalai or Roasted gram dal - 1 cup
- Rice flour - 1/4 cup
- Besan or chickpea flour - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for deep frying
- Take pottukadalai in a mixie and powder finely.
- Sieve well. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add rice flour and besan and mix well.
- Add salt, cumin seeds, ghee and mix with your finger tips.
- Add water little by little and mix into a smooth and soft dough.
- Grease the Murukku mould with oil and insert the star nozzle and keep it ready.
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Fill the mould with dough and press out Murukku on a flat ladle or a plastic sheet. Check the temperature of the oil by putting a small ball into the oil.
- If it rises immediately to the top, the temperature is right.
- Tip the pressed out Murukku into the hot oil and cook for 1-2 minutes over medium flame.
- Gently flip to the other and cook till golden brown and the sizzling of the oil stops. Drain on a kitchen paper.
- Pottukadalai Murruku is ready.
- Once completely cooled, store in an airtight container.