This is the first time I’m making Rajma sundal and must say that I rather liked it. Rajma is one touch cookie to crack. It is so bland and the absorption level of the spices used in a dish by Rajma is also very low.
So I used a special spice blend or rather a masala powder to make it more appealing taste wise. So I should rather be calling it as Rajma Masala Sundal.
You can use this masala powder to make other sundals as well. As I only make this Rajma Masala for chapathis and these Rajma Tikkis for the kids snacks, I’m so glad that I got to try yet another Sundal with rajma for this Navaratri Season.
1. The spice powder can be made in bulk and stored in an air tight container and can be added to any sundal recipe.
2. Either black or white sesame seed can be used.
3. You can also add 1 to 2 tsp of grated coconut and roast it while making the spice powder. This will add more flavor to the spice powder.
4. The cooking time for Rajma will differ. The older the bean is the longer it will take to cook. The right consistency is that you should be able to mash it when pressed gently between your fingers.
There are 2 types of Rajma (red kidney beans) available in the market. You can use either of them to make this healthy and nutritious sundal.
Rajma Sundal recipe details as follows:
Rajma Sundal Recipe | Navratri Sundal Recipes
- Rajma or red kidney beans - 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/4 tsp
- Whole dry red chilies – 2
- Black sesame seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafetida - 2 pinch
- Fresh grated coconut – 4 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Soak Rajma in water overnight or for 8 to 10 hours. Drain the water and rinse well with fresh water.
- Place the rajma in a pressure cooker and add pour water till it is completely immersed.
- Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Simmer the flame completely and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
- The rajma will be soft at this stage. Drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and add coriander seeds, whole red chilies, chana dal, sesame seeds, 5 curry leaf and sauté over low flame till the aroma arises.
- Transfer to a plate and let it cool completely.
- Grind to a fine powder in a mixie jar and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add asafetida, curry leaves, urad dal and sauté for 30 seconds till the dal becomes golden brown.
- Add the cooked Rajma and sprinkle the ground spice powder all over.
- Toss well till it gets well coated.
- Add fresh grated coconut, toss well and cook for 1 more minute.
- Rajma sundal is ready.
- Take off fire and Serve hot.