Rava Semiya Idli recipe with stepwise photos. An instant idli that can be made in a jiffy and served for breakfast, dinner or as an evening tiffin with chutneys and sambar.
This rava semiya idli comes in very handy when you do not have any ground idli batter on hand. I know only of rava idli and instant oats idli and was really surprised when I was served these idlis at a friend’s home.
That was the first time I came upon vermicelli (semiya) in idli and then I thought why the heck not and why did not think of it before as both are by products of wheat.
The minimum resting time for the batter is 15 mins but you can rest even longer if you have time on hand.
If you have pre roasted sooji and vermicelli packs, you can skip the roasting part also which will save time.
I do not use cooking soda to the batter before making idlis, but you can add just a pinch and whisk well before dropping the batter into the moulds.
Before keeping the idli stand into the steaming vessel, make sure that the water inside is boiling, so that the idlis will come out spongy without even adding cooking soda. This applies even while making regular idlis.
Rava Semiya Idli Recipe with stepwise photos:
1. Heat a pan and dry roast rava till its hot.
2. Dry roast semiya to golden brown.
3. Transfer both the roasted ingredients to a bowl and set aside.
4. Heat a pan and do the tempering with oil, mustard, channa dal, green chilies and curry leaves.
5. To the roasted ingredients, transfer the tempering, curd, salt and whisk well and let it rest for 15 mins.
6. Grease idli mould with oil and drop spoonfuls of batter into the indents till full.
7. Steam for 10 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
8. Serve these rava semiya idlis piping hot with chutneys and sambar.
Rava Semiya Idli Recipe details below:
- Rava (sooji) - 1/2 cup
- Semiya (vermicelli) - 1/2 cup
- Curd (yogurt) - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Channa dal - 1/2 tsp
- Green chili, small - 1
- Ginger, grated - 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Curry leaves, torn - 4 to 5
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Heat a pan and dry roast rava (sooji) over low flame, taking care not to brown it. When you hold it in your fist, you should feel the heat. Transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
- To the same pan, add semiya (vermicelli) and dry roast till golden brown over low flame. Transfer to the same bowl and set aside.
- Heat a tadka pan or the same pan for tempering. Add oil and when it gets warm, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add channa dal, finely chopped green chilies, ginger (if using), curry leaves and cook for 5 seconds till the dal gets golden brown. Set aside.
- To the roasted ingredients, add the tempering, curd, salt and mix well. It should be very thick. Set aside for 10 - 15 mins.
- Grease idli moulds and drop spoonfuls of batter into the indents till full. If the batter is too thick like a dough, add 2 to 3 tbsp water and whisk till it comes to dropping consistency.
- Steam for 10 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the idlis with a spoon.
- Serve these rava semiya idlis piping hot with chutney and sambar.