Sojji Appam or Sooji Appam or Rava Puran Poli with step by step pictures. A healthier and low caloric take on a traditional sweet recipe compared to the deep fried sojji appams.
I love sojji appams and its my grandma's specialty. She used to make it for every Diwali and its a crowded affair at home. All my Aunts used to sit and gently pat and shape the appam on freshly plucked banana leaves from the garden and my grandma used to deep fry them in batches on the fire wooded stove.
Its been a long time since I made this, as I feel so full even after eating just one. So for health reasons, I avoided making this all these years. But when I went to my In-Laws place to celebrate Diwali last year, she had made this appam and it was so soft and delicious. I asked her the procedure and decided to make it for this Diwali.
The procedure for the sojji or the rava kesari is an easy and fail proof one that even beginners can follow this method while making kesari. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled and the procedure remains the same.
The stove is on only while roasting rava and for dissolving sugar and after that you can switch off the stove. The kesari is made in the cooker while the stove is off. Cool,right.
I learned this hack from a Facebook Page that I frequent and ever since learning this hack, I stopped making sojji or rava kesari, the regular way.
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to email@example.com
Sojji Appam Recipe
- Rava or Sooji - ½ cup
- Ghee – ¼ cup + 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1-¼ cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Yellow food color – 2 pinch divided
- Cardamom - 1
- All purpose flour or Maida - 1 cup
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Take maida, 1 pinch salt, 1 pinch yellow food color in a mixing bowl and mix well. Add water little by little and knead to a smooth pliant dough. Now add oil little by little and knead into a soft dough. Coat the outer layer of the dough with oil and cover it. Let it rest for 3 hours at least.
- Heat ¼ cup ghee in a pressure cooker or pan. Add the rava and roast over low flame till the aroma rises, without changing color. This should take 2-3 mins.
- In another stove, heat water and add sugar and let it dissolve completely. Add crushed cardamom seeds, 1 pinch yellow food color and mix well.
- Add this hot sugar syrup to the roasted rava and mix well. Immediately close the cooker with a lid and place the weight on top and leave it for 20-25 mins. No need to switch on the stove at all. Open after 20 mins and soft rava kesari will be ready without any lumps.
- Make small lemon size balls of both the rava kesari and the dough. Grease your finger with ghee or oil. Place the dough ball on a greased plastic sheet and pat with your finger tips to a circle.
- Place the sojji ball in the middle of the dough and cover it with the dough and make a ball once again.
- Now once again pat the stuffed ball into an appam as thinly as you can manage.
- Heat a griddle and gently tilt the plastic sheet and place the appam on the griddle and drizzle ghee around the appam.
- Cook on both sides till you can see brown spots on both the sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Serve hot or warm.