Spicy diamond cuts recipe. These Spicy Diamond cuts are also known as maida khara biscuits or thukkada or thukkudi made during Diwali festival. They make a wonderful tea time snack as well.
This is also a very easy snack that you can prepare for Diwali if you are a beginner. These are usually made to be added in South Indian Mixture along with other snacks to add to the crunch effect.
This is one of the best tea time snacks you could wish for and can be your best partner while reading books. Make them ahead and store it an air tight jar and enjoy at leisure or whenever you get a snack attack.
Ajwain also known as Omam in Tamil, Bishop’s weed or carom seeds in English are used to flavor these diamond cuts. It also enhances the digestion and do not make you feel bloated as this happens to be a deep fried snack.
Points to note while making spicy diamond cuts:
1. You can add either softened butter or ghee instead of hot oil while making the dough.
2. For a variation, you can add 1 tsp garlic paste and avoid omam while making the dough.
3. Always store in an air tight container else it will lose its crispiness.
4. After separating the pieces, arrange them on a paper instead of a plate. As it sticks, you have to separate them once more while picking them up for deep frying.
5. Add the pieces only till the pan holds and do not over crowd.
Do check out other easy diwali snack recipes like omapodi, ribbon pakoda, aloo bhujia, cashewnut murukku, butter murukku and pottukadalai murukku
There are spoons with ribbed wheels available in the market which is usually used to draw the lines. They give a ribbed edge while cutting. But since I did not have it, I used a pizza cutter to cut them. If you do not have it, a sharp knife will do the job neatly.
Spicy diamond cuts recipe details below:
- Maida (All purpose flour) – 1/2 cup
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Omam / Ajwain – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafetida – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Water – for kneading
- Hot oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for deep frying
- In a mixing bowl, add maida, chili powder, omam, cumin seeds, asafetida, salt and mix well with your finger.
- Make a well in the center and add hot oil.
- Bring the flour from the sides and mix with your finger tips till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add water little by little and make into smooth and stiff dough.
- Cover the bowl and let it rest for 30 mins.
- Take golf ball sized dough and roll into a thin disc or circle.
- With a fork prick all over the surface. This is to prevent puffing up while deep frying.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, make lines horizontally and vertically resembling diamond shape.
- Separate each piece and arrange it side by side on a kitchen paper or a plate.
- Heat a pan with oil and when hot add the cuts or pieces till the pan holds.
- Deep fry over medium low flame till golden brown and drain on a kitchen paper.
- Spicy diamond cuts are ready.
- Let it come to room temperature.
- Store in an air tight container.