This homemade Tomato Soup recipe is a chunky version of the soup that’s vegan, gluten free, no added preservatives, easy to make, very filling and tastes quite delicious too.
There could nothing be more comforting than a bowl full of steaming hot soup especially on a cold day. I made this soup last weekend to go with these Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Rolls for dinner and oh boy, the combo was a match made in heaven. I’ve never had a fancy for clear soups and always prefer a soup that has more body, texture and volume to it and be filling at the same time like any other one pot meal does. Tomato soup is the most versatile of soup recipes as it can be made in many different ways, but I make it this way as my kids also prefer this version of tomato soup.
Basically if you use vegetable broth to make this soup, it will enhance the taste of the soup but if you do not happen to have any homemade stock at hand, you can use store bought soup cube instead. But since my kiddo has been restricted to things that are with high sodium content, I defer using that.
Just pull apart the roll and further pull it apart into small pieces and drop them into the soup, so that they could absorb some of the broth and eat it along with the soup. Trust me its heaven on any cold night and will soon become your comfort food at any time of the day.
- Instead of using water to cook the vegetables, you can use vegetable stock if you have at hand.
- If you do not happen to have both vegetable stock and Italian seasoning at hand, use a vegetarian bouillon cube (soup cube). Crumble the soup cube and add it to water.
- Use the hybrid variety of tomato and not the standard ones as they will be very tangy.
- If using soup cube check the salt as the cube itself will have salt in it.
- Instead of carrots, you can also use a beetroot but it will give out a more intense earthy flavor than when compared to adding carrots.