Panna Cotta is a classic and elegant Italian Dessert that will enthrall your guests when you serve this to them. I loved making this eggless dessert as Panna Cotta is the most simplest, quickest and easiest dessert that you could ever dream of making. It takes just 5 ingredients that are already available in your pantry. It also takes just 10 minutes to put this dessert together and the most important of all is that it is a make ahead dessert.
If you are seeing it all melting away, you have to blame it on the hottest weather we are having right now and the power cut that comes along with summer. Both myself and Hubby had it with basil seeds (sabja seeds) and the kids had it topped with the strawberry crush.
I have already explained the health benefits of Basil seeds in my Basil seeds Lemonade recipe and add to it the china grass (agar agar) which also happens to be a natural coolant for our body, this makes an awesome, healthy desserts to be had during summer.
Vanilla Panna Cotta with Basil Seeds
Prep time: 5 mins | Cook time: 10 mins | Setting time: 5-8 hours | Serves: 4
- Cream – 1 cup / 200 ml (I used 25% cream)
- Milk – 1 cup / 200 ml
- China Grass / Agar Agar – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
For the Sauce:
- Basil Seeds (Sabja) – 1 tsp
- Water – 3 tbsp
1. Grease 4 ramekin moulds with any unflavored vegetable oil and keep aside.
2. In about 1/4 cup of water, soak china grass, stir and keep aside.
3. In a saucepan, mix together milk, cream and sugar. Add the china grass mixture and keep it on the stove and bring to a boil while stirring continuously.
4. Take off stove and add in vanilla essence. Stir well and pour into the prepared ramekin moulds.
5. Refrigerate for at least 5-8 hours before serving. It will usually set in 1 hour but keep it refrigerated till serving and not at room temperature. It tastes best when served cold.
For the Topping / Sauce:
1. In a small bowl take water and sprinkle the basil seeds. Let it be for 10 minutes and you can see the seeds absorbing water and increasing in volume.
2. Alternately you can also use Homemade Strawberry Crush as I did for serving.
1. Dip a sharp knife in water and run it around the edges of the ramekin mould and place the mould upside down over the serving plate and give it a gentle tap.
2. The Panna Cotta will unmould onto the plate easily.
3. Scoop the basil seeds with a spoon and pour it all over the Panna Cotta. You can also pour the strawberry crush and enjoy the tangy sweetness along with the Panna Cotta.
1. Instead of china grass, you can use gelatin.
2. For a vegan option, avoid gelatin and instead of milk and cream use coconut milk.
3. For a Chocolate version of the Panna Cotta, either add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder or grated chocolate to the mixture.
4. You can also serve it in the ramekin mould itself and the option of serving with a sauce is optional.