Yellow Pumpkin Curry Recipe with Video. Simple, dry curry made with parangikai or manjal poosanikai that can be served as a side dish with both rice and chapthis.
This curry is the one of the simple most side dish that you can make with yellow pumpkin. It tastes so good when served with sambar, rasam or curd rice.
There is no need to grind anything and I have used homemade sambar powder to make this parangikai poriyal.
Yellow pumpkin or Parangikai is rich in Vitamin A and in Beta Carotine and aids a lot with weight loss. Not only the vegetable but the seeds are also so nutritious.
Our Favorite Video:
Yellow pumpkin is a nutrient dense but low calorie vegetable that is full of anti-oxidants. So if you are on a weight loss journey, make sure to add this super veggie in your diet.
How to clean yellow pumpkin?
First cut the yellow pumpkin into big chunks so that it will be easy to peel the skin. Remove the seeds from the centre and the soft mushy skin covering the seeds.
Slice the skin using a sharp knife or a peeler. Be very careful while removing the skin as it is very hard and you may hurt yourself.
How to cook Yellow Pumkin?
Though yellow pumpkin cooks faster, the outer layer that is below the skin may take longer. If we cook it for longer, then the middle part of it will become mushy.
So you need to pay attention while cooking if you wish to avoid ending up with a mushy curry.
You can either steam the yellow pumpkin till done or par boil them in water on stove top till they are at least 80% done and then make curry with it.
I always microwave them which ensures even cooking and perfectly done pumpkin. While it is microwaving, I prepare the tempering and the curry gets done in less then 10 mins.
Check out other dry curry recipes from the blog,
Yellow Pumpkin Curry Video Tutorial:
Do subscribe to our YouTube Channel for recipe videos.
Yellow Pumpkin Curry Recipe Card:
Yellow Pumpkin Curry
- Yellow Pumpkin - 150 gms
- Onion - 1 medium
- Tomato - 1 small
- Curry leaves - few
- Sambar Powder - 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - for garnish
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Remove the seeds and the mushy skin covering the seeds, peel the outer skin of the pumpkin with a knife or a peeler and cut into 1 inch cubes. Chop both onions and tomato finely and set aside.
Cooking the pumpkin:
- Microwave method: Place the pumpkin cubes in a microwave proof bowl or tupperware. Add 2 tsp water and mix well. Cook at high for 1 min. Take the bowl out and keep it covered till ready to cook.
- Stovetop Method: You can either steam it using a steamer till done or par boil them in water till they are 80% done. Drain and set aside.
Make yellow pumpkin curry:
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add urad dal and roast for few secs.
- Add onion, curry leaves and saute till onions become translucent. Add tomato and cook till begins to become mushy.
- Add par-cooked yellow pumpkin cubes, salt, mix well and cook covered for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and toss well. Add 2 tsp water and once again mix well.
- Cook covered for 2 to 3 mins or till the raw smell of the both the spice powders go off. Mix well, switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Yellow pumpkin curry is ready to be served with sambar, rasam or curd rice.