Chilli Idli recipe or chilli idli fry with step by step photos. Chilli idli makes an awesome lunch box recipe for kids. This Chilli idli fry is a dry preparation following an Indo Chinese version of using up the left over idlis if you have at home.
Sometimes I make idlis fresh and make this for my kids lunch box.
I have pan fried the idli pieces and did not deep fry them in oil. As a result it will not become greasy and mushy when you pack for the kids lunch box.
You can also grill them in an oven. But you have to keep turning them every 1 or 2 minute for all the sides to get grilled uniformly.
But when you planning to make it as a snack at home for the kids, I suggest that you deep fry the idli pieces in oil as it will be even more delicious.
The idlis will hold their shape very well despite cooking in the sauces. You can also have this for your Breakfast or Dinner as it will not be very heavy on your stomach or prepare this for the evening tiffin.
My kids do not prefer eating idlis as it is when I pack them with any chutney. Apart from making this chilli idli fry to use left over idlis, you can also make this Idli Upma which is incredibly easy and quick for a fulfilling breakfast.
Stepwise instructions for Chilli Idli recipe:
1. Chop the idlis into big chunks and arrange them on a tawa without crowding the pieces.
2. Drizzle oil around and cook over low flame turning the pieces around till they change color to a light brown.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add onions, green chilies, curry leaves and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
4. Add chopped capsicum and cook for another 2 mins. Add soy sauce, Green chili sauce, turmeric powder, red chili powder, tomato sauce, salt and mix well.
5. Add 2 tbsp water and let it cook for 2-3 mins till the oil starts to leave the sides.
6. Add the shallow fried idli pieces and mix well.
7. In a small bowl, mix together corn flour and 4 tbsp water till there are no lumps. Pour it over the idli mixture in a sprinkling way.
8. Increase the flame and cook for 3-4 minutes. Keep mixing well so that the corn flour mixture coats all the pieces well and also get cooked at the same time.
Sprinkle coriander leaves and hot chilli idli fry is ready to serve.
Chilli idli recipe details as follows:
Chilli Idli Recipe – Chilli Idli Fry Recipe
- Idlis – 15
- Onion – 1
- Capsicum - 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Tomato sauce – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Green chili sauce – 2 tsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2
- Corn flour - 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Chop the idlis into big chunks. Chop the onions and capsicum into big chunks and keep it ready.
- Place a griddle/tawa and keep the fire on medium.
- Arrange the idli chunks only till the griddle holds leaving space between each piece.
- Drizzle oil around the idli pieces and let it cook till it changes color to a light brown.
- Finish with all the idli pieces and transfer to a plate.
- Heat a pan with 2 tbsp oil.
- Add onions, sliced green chilies, curry leaves and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped capsicum and cook for another 2 mins till it wilts.
- Add soy sauce, Green chili sauce, turmeric powder, red chili powder, tomato sauce, salt and mix well.
- Add 2 tbsp water and let it cook for 2-3 mins till the oil starts to leave the sides.
- Add the shallow fried idli pieces and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together corn flour and 4 tbsp water till there are no lumps.
- Pour it over the idli mixture in a sprinkling way.
- Increase the flame to full and let the mixture cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Keep mixing well so that the corn flour mixture coats all the pieces well and also get cooked at the same time.
- Finally sprinkle the coriander leaves. Give it a final toss and take off stove.
- Chilli idli is ready to be served or packed off in a lunch box.