Mango Kesari or Mango Sheera recipe, a quick to make sweet dish using fresh mango pulp for your relatives and friends for any special occasion or when you start craving for a sweet to enjoy or when unexpected guests land at your door step.
A better way to enjoy the king of fruits, Mango in its many other forms. I just loved the mango flavored kesari very much. So when DH bought some organic, juicy mangoes right from the farm itself last week, I found that some were a bit bruised due to transit because they were overripe and when I cut them it was so pulpy and the juice started coming out and I could have had it as such as the taste was simply awesome.
But instead of eating as such, I pulp-ed those mangoes and stored it in the fridge for later use. I wanted to put the pulp to good use than make regular milkshakes. So when the kids asked for something sweet to eat, I decided to make this mango kesari and it turned out yummy.
As a beginner in cooking, several years back, the one dish that I struggled to get right was Kesari. Though after all these years I have managed to perfect the art of making kesari on stove top by cooking it in an open pan, I prefer making it in a pressure cooker as it does not need constant supervision and you don’t want any surprises thrown at you when the guests are at home especially. I followed the same method of making Rava Kesari in Pressure Cooker as it comes out perfect with amazing texture every time.
Our Favorite Video:
You can increase the sugar level by another 1/4 to 1/2 cup if you want it more sweet. It also depends on the sweetness of the mangoes. I used 1 large alphonso mango to get 1 cup pulp. You can use any variety of mango that does not have any fibre. Instead of cardamom, you can also use vanilla or mango extract. But make sure you add the extract after opening the cooker.
I did not add any artificial food coloring, but if you want, you can add 2 pinch of yellow food color. Now-a days you get ready to use double roasted rava or sooji and if you have it on hand, you can skip roasting it in ghee and save time.
You can also check out Rava Kesari following the Autolysis method and if you are looking for sweets to make quickly, you can try Aval Kesari, Pineapple Kesari, Chocolate Peda and Custard Powder Halwa.
Mango Kesari Recipe details below:
Mango Kesari Recipe – Mango Sheera Recipe
- Mango pulp – 1 cup
- Rava or Sooji - 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp broken
- Cardamom - 1 crushed
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker. Add broken cashew nuts and roast for few minutes till it starts to change color over low flame.
- Add rava (sooji) and keep roasting it over low flame. Meanwhile bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan in another stove. Keep it simmering.
- Roast the sooji till you get the aroma and it changes color slightly.
- Slowly add the boiling water from the sides into the pressure cooker. Add sugar, mango pulp, crushed cardamom and mix well with a balloon whisk.
- Close the pressure cooker with the lid, place the weight and cook for 1 whistle over high flame.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and mix well.
- You can add 2-3 tsp ghee before mixing if you want.
- Mango Kesari is ready.
- Serve hot or warm.