Peerkangai Kadayal recipe with step by step pictures. A South Indian gravy using Ridge gourd that is served with rice.
Back home they used to make this gravy in an open vessel but I have opted for pressure cooking to cut back on time and to prevent loss of nutrition.
Usually we make this with “Nurai Peerkangai” or ‘Paal Peerkangai’ as we used to call them in our place. This type of Ridge gourd is what’s grown in our garden.
They are small in size and they measure from your finger tips to your wrist.
The outer shell is used as a natural body scrub too and you can find the dried ones hanging outside “Naatu Marundhu Kadai” (country medicine shops).
It has been ages since I saw one let alone cook it. As I don’t get them at all in my place, I’m forced to make do with the regular ones.
This is mostly cooked for people who are recovering after a prolonged illness.
This peerkangai kadayal does not have dal to make them feel bloated and it is also very mildly spiced.
You can also feed this to babies who have started on solid food as its easily digestible too.
Step by recipe for Peerkangai Kadayal:
1. Cut peerkangai into 2 and remove the pith from the center. Chop sambar onion, peerkangai and tomato finely.
2. Heat a pressure cooker pan with oil and season with urad dal and whole red chilies.
3. Add onions, ridge gourd and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
4. Add tomato, curry leaf and cook till the vegetables shrink in size.
5. Add tamarind piece, salt and enough water, mix well and cook for 1 whistle.
6. Once the pressure gets released, open the lid and mash well using a masher.
Peerkangai Kadayal is ready to be served hot along with rice.
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Peerkangai Kadayal Recipe details below:
Peerkangai Kadayal Recipe – How to make Peerkangai Masiyal
- Peerkangai or Ridge gourd - 1
- Shallots or sambar onions - 15 to 20
- Tomato – 1
- Whole dry red chillies – 4
- Tamarind – 1 small gooseberry size
- Urad dal – ½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – ½ tbsp
- Cut the ridge gourd into two and remove the seeds and white pith from the centre.
- Chop the ridge gourd and shallots finely.
- Heat oil in a pan, season with urad dal and dry red chillies.
- Add chopped shallots and ridge gourd and sauté over low flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomato, curry leaf and cook till the vegetables shrink in size.
- Add tamarind piece, salt, ¼ cup water, mix well and close with the lid and let it cook for 1 whistle.
- Take off stove and once the pressure is released, open the lid and mash well using a masher.
- Peerkangai Kadayal is ready.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve mixed with hot rice or as a side dish with rice.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Browse plenty more quick & flavorful recipes easily by course, method, occasion & diet.