Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal recipe also known as Marina Beach Sundal with step by step pictures. This sundal is just perfect to make and distribute during Navratri season or to pack for a day out in the Beach to snack on.
The summer in Chennai is synonymous to Marina Beach, Molaga bajji, the crowd, balloons, fans and mask sellers, panju mittai (cotton candy), cone ice cream carts with bells and above all the piping hot thenga manga pattani sundal sold at the beach.
There is immense pleasure in munching on them while enjoying the gentle chill breeze, listening to the waves lapping at the shore. This beach sundal recipe is an authentic one and I got it from a person who used to sell it on the beach as a kid.
In fact I grew up eating this year after year not at the beach but in a church in our neighborhood where we used to attend VBS class as kids and this person was the caretaker there.
All the kids who attend the class will be given some healthy snacks during the break time and this sundal will be served on most days to us in paper cones just like in the beach to cheer us all.
My kids love them so much and most Sundays this sundal happens to be our snack in the Evenings. What’s not to love when the snack is healthy, nutritious and absolutely low fat.
Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal recipe with stepwise pictures:
1. Soak dry white peas in water overnight and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Drain and keep aside.
2. Grind coconut, ginger piece, green chili in a mixie jar to a coarse paste without adding any water.
3. Heat a pan with oil and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
4. Add coarsely ground paste and sauté over low flame for ½ minute.
5. Add the cooked peas and mix well. Take the pan off stove. Squeeze lemon juice.
6. Sprinkle the grated mango all over and toss well for the contents to mix well.
7. Thenga manga pattani sundal is ready to be served hot or warm.
Notes: If you want the typical aroma of the sundal as they do at the Beach, after cooking, line a bowl with fresh banana leaves (Vazhai ilai) and transfer the sundal to it and close the bowl with a lid tightly. Leave it for 10 –15 minutes and then serve.
You can either grate or chop the raw mango into fine pieces. It is your choice. I usually grate them to save time.
An authentic one does not have onions in it but if you prefer, then you can add it. You can also add some finely chopped cucumber and tomatoes and enjoy it like a salad.
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal recipe details below:
Thenga Manga Pattani Sundal Recipe or Beach Sundal
- Dry white peas – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp optional
- Green Chilies – 3
- Fresh grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Raw mango - ¼ cup grated
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Soak dry peas in enough water over night or for 8 to 10 hours.
- Next day discard the soaked water and wash the peas with fresh water.
- Place peas in the pressure cooker and add enough water so that it stands 1 inch above the peas.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Place the cooker on the small burner of the gas stove and cook over medium flame for 2 whistles.
- After the pressure is released, drain excess water and keep aside. The peas should have been cooked soft.
- Take coconut, ginger piece, green chili in a mixie jar and first pulse the contents and then grind to a coarse paste without adding any water.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add curry leaves, coarsely ground paste and sauté over low flame for ½ minute.
- Add the cooked peas and mix well. Check salt at this stage and add if not enough and take off from fire.
- Squeeze lemon juice and sprinkle the grated mango all over.
- Toss well for all the contents to mix well.
- Thenga manga pattani sundal is ready.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, if preferred.
- Serve hot in paper cones just as they do at the Beach.