Vegan Millet Burrito Bowl recipe with step by step photos. This DIY burrito bowl is made with millets and topped with a creamy Avocado Mint sauce not only for the the oomph…factor but also for the added taste and for extra moisture.
They make a healthy, nutritious and whole some meal in itself fulfilling all your dietary requirements for the day.
This also makes an amazing dish to prepare for potlucks, get togethers and it will be a definite hit in any kiddies party if you let them to make them on their own.
Some amazing recipes and quite a bit of realisation in terms of the taste and quality of these wonderful and healthy products.
Our Favorite Video:
The sheer taste of Organic itself is so different that it uplifts the flavor profile of any recipe. And it’s not only me, there are others too, making recipes, sharing how wonderful it is to go organic.
Burritos are a staple of the Mexicans and also a part of the Tex-Mex food.
Normally the filling will be placed in a tortilla and wrapped tightly before serving.
But you can also layer the burrito in a bowl by deconstructing and serve it straight from the plate itself like this.
I have used Barnyard millet here. In its place you can use brown rice, white long grained rice, quinoa according to your wish. Any type of millet will also do fine.
When I made it for the first time, I made a salsa using avocados and corn and used it to top the burrito bowl.
Though it was good, by the end of it I was having difficulty in swallowing as I felt it was way too dry for my liking and felt it could improve flavor wise as well.
This time I decided to make a sauce using the avocado following my basil flax seed pesto recipe and used it as a topping which totally made the dish.
It was tangy, spicy and every mouthful was a burst of flavors. I left out the salsa, as I felt this itself was very filling and satisfying.
Millet Burrito Bowl recipe with stepwise photos:
1. Pressure cook barnyard millet, fluff it up and set aside.
2. Soak kidney beans overnight. Pressure cook in enough water with a pinch of salt till soft and keep aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add garlic, onions and saute till they turn translucent.
4. Add tomatoes, salt, all the spice powders, mix well and let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes over low flame till the tomatoes turn mushy.
5. Add tomato sauce or paste, cooked kidney beans, 1/8 cup water and mix well.
6. Cook covered for 2 mins over low flame. Garnish with coriander leaves, take the pan off the stove and set aside.
7. Scoop the flesh of the avocado and add it to a mixie jar or food processor. Add mint leaves and the rest of the ingredients for the sauce.
8. Blitz to process till they resemble a thick sauce. Taste and adjust the salt and lime juice according to your preference.
To assemble vegan millet burrito bowl, take a bowl or plate. Add and spread the cooked millet. Scoop a ladle full of spicy kidney beans onto the centre. Top it with avocado mint sauce and corn salsa or guacamole (optional) and enjoy a wholesome, filling meal.
Vegan Millet Burrito Bowl recipe details below:
Vegan Millet Burrito Bowl Recipe
For the Millet bowl:
- Barnyard millet or Kuthiravaali - 1/2 cup
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Water - 1-1/4 cup
- Olive oil - 1/2 tsp
For the Bean spread:
- Rajma or kidney beans - 1/4 cup
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 2
- Garlic - 3 pods
- Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato sauce or paste - 2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
For the Avocado Mint Sauce:
- Ripe Avocado small - 1
- Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Sea salt - to taste
- Water - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Soak the rajma (kidney beans) in planty of water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place the millet in a strainer and rinse well. Drain completely and keep aside.
- Chop the onion and tomato finely. Mince the garlic and keep aside.
For the Millet bowl:
- Heat a pressure cooker pan.
- Add olive oil and when it gets warm, add drained millets and saute for a minute over low flame.
- Add water, salt, mix well and close with its lid.
- Cook for 2 whistles. Switch off stove and let the pressure subside. Open, fluff with a fork and set aside. Keep the pan closed to prevent the millet from drying.
For the spicy bean spread:
- Discard the water used to soak kidney beans. Rinse well.
- Place the beans in a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water, a pinch of salt and pressure cook over low flame for 4 - 5 whistles. Drain it into a colander and set the cooked beans aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add minced garlic, chopped onions and saute till they turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes, salt, red chili powder, kashmiri chili powder, cumin, black pepper powder, mix well and let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes over low flame till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add tomato sauce or paste, cooked kidney beans, 1/8 cup water, mix well and cook covered for 2 mins over low flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, take the pan off the stove and set aside.
For the Avocado Mint Sauce:
- Scoop the flesh of the avocado and add it to a mixie jar or food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Blitz to process till they resemble a thick sauce.
- Taste and adjust the salt and lime juice according to your preference.
How to assemble Vegan Millet Burrito Bowl:
- Take a bowl or plate. Add the cooked millet. Spread out evenly over the bowl.
- Scoop the spicy kidney beans, place in the center and spread lightly.
- Finally top it with some avocado mint sauce and drizzle some of the sauce all over the bowl as garnish.
- Best to dig in and enjoy while it is still warm.
- Instead of a bowl, use a tortilla, proceed with the steps and roll it like a mat into a tight wrap.
- Serve with some corn salsa or guacamole.