7 Kari Kootu is a special neivedhyam recipe that’s made on Pongal and Thiruvadhirai. Since its made using 7 vegetables its called as “Ezhu Kari Kootu”. Its a medley of vegetables based on a creamy coconut based sauce that’s flavorful and very mildly spiced. Since its made as a neivedhyam this recipes does not have any onion and garlic. This is a best combo when served with Thiruvadhirai Kali and its considered to be very nutritious and healthy as well.
Normally only country vegetables (Naattu Kai Kari) are used to prepare this kootu. Atleast one vegetables is used from all types of plants comprising creepers, climbers, shrub, tree and vegetables grown below the ground. Above is a picture of the veggies that I have used to make this 7 kari kootu.
You can add or remove any vegetables depending on your preference and availability. Both my Mom and MIL consider it a must to add “Karnakizhangu” (Elephant Yam) but since I’m allergic to it, I have used brinjals in place of it.
Some other country vegetables that you can use are Kothavarangai (Cluster beans), Potato, Raw mango, Drumstick, Kodi Pudalangai (Snake Gourd), Poosanikai (White Pumpkin), Sorakai (Bottle Gourd), Peerkangai (Ridge Gourd), Chow-chow apart from the above displayed vegetables. Just make sure that there is a minimum of 7 veggies.
I have used fresh Mochai but incase if you don’t get it, you can used soaked, cooked dry mochai. Like wise you can also use either fresh or dry vellai Karamani (Black Eyed Beans). Avoid using peas as its not considered a country vegetable.
Also in my home, we do not add any spice powder like sambar powder and tamarind to spice up this 7 kari kootu. For grinding you can either use pottukadalai or raw rice or rice flour which acts as a thickener and also provides the creamy consistency for the kootu.
step by step method to make 7 Kari Kootu Recipe:
Wash vegetables. Trim the stem of brinjals and cut into big chunks. Trim both the ends of Avarakai and remove the strings. Cut into big chunks. Remove the skin of sweet potato, plantain, yellow pumpkin, cheppakizhangu and chop into big chunks. Place all the vegetables in a pressure cooker and add 1/4 cup water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles and take off the stove.
Pressure cook Moong dal in enough water for 2 whistles and keep aside. Grind together coconut, green chili, curry leaves, cumin seeds and pottu kadalai to a smooth paste using little water.
To the pressure cooked veggies, add ground paste, cooked moong dal, 1/2 cup water, salt, turmeric powder, mix well and cook over low flame for 4-5 mins till the raw smell goes away.
Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard, asafetida, urad dal, curry leaves and cook for few seconds till it the dal get golden in color. Pour this tempering over the kootu, mix well and serve this 7 kari kootu hot with Thiruvadhirai Kali or Ven Pongal.
7 Kari Kootu Recipe
- Mochai - 1/4 cup
- Brinjal - 2
- Parangikai or Yellow Pumpkin - 1 small piece
- Sakaravalli Kizhangu or Sweet Potato, small - 1
- Chepakizhangu or Colacasia - 1
- Vazhakkai or Green plantain - 1/2
- Avarakkai or Broad Beans - 5
- Moong dal or Paasi paruppu - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
For the paste:
- Fresh grated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Green chilies - 4
- Pottukadalai or Roasted gram dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaf - 1 sprig
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Asafetida - 2 pinch
- Curry leaf - 1 sprig
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Wash all the vegetables.
- Peel the skin of vazhakkai, peerkangai, chakkaravali kizhangu, cheppankizhangu and chop into big chunks.
- Trim both the ends of Avarakkai, remove the strings and chop into big chunks.
- Remove the stem of brinjal and chop into big chunks.
- Pressure cook moong dal in 1/2 cup water for 2 whistles and keep aside.
- Place all the chopped veggies and mochai in a pressure cooker. Add 1/4 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles and keep aside. You can also cook both dal and vegetables in 2 separate containers at the same time.
Make the paste:
- Grind together grated coconut, pottu kadalai, green chilies, 1 sprig curry leaf and cumin seeds to a smooth paste using little water.
Make 7 kari kootu:
- To the cooked vegetables, add cooked moong dal, ground paste, 1/2 cup water, turmeric powder, salt and cook over low flame for 4-5 mins for the raw smell to go away.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it pop. add urad dal, asafetida and 1 sprig curry leaf and cook the dal turns golden in color.
- Add this tempering over the kootu and mix well and cook for another minute.
- Take off stove and drizzle 1 tsp coconut oil (optional) on top and close tightly with a lid.
- Serve hot with Thiruvadhirai kali or Pongal.