Potato Podi Curry Recipe with Video. A spicy and dry side dish made using baby potatoes or regular potatoes that is usually served with rice across South India.
This is a no onion, no garlic recipe that comes together in no time at all.
We love to make this with baby potatoes though as it is easier to serve and make.
If using regular potatoes, cube them before using and it will taste just fine.
The spice powder added to the dish that coats the baby potatoes is what makes this dish, a star.
Our Favorite Video:
It is aromatic and tastes finger licking delicious when you serve this potato podi curry with sambar or rasam rice.
You can make the spice powder and store it in an air tight container in the fridge for a week.
You can use it to make other vegetable dry curries also.
Add the powder towards the end and toss well before taking off the stove.
You can add salt in two steps as well, one while adding little to the water while cooking the potatoes and the next by adding it along with the spice powder at the end.
But I prefer to add it to the potatoes while sautéing as it bring out the moisture quickly.
It will help it to get roasted well and coat well with the podi (spice powder).
If you are a biryani lover, then I’m sure you will love this Baby Potato Biryani.
How To Make Potato Podi Curry – Video:
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel to get more easy and delicious recipes.
Potato Podi Curry Recipe details below:
Potato Podi Curry Recipe + Video
- Baby potatoes - 250 gms boiled and peeled
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafetida - 1/8 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
For the spice powder (podi):
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Channa Dal - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 5 to 6
- Grated coconut - 4 tbsp
- White sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds / Khus- Khus - 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Oil - 1 tsp
For the spice powder (podi):
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil. Add coriander seeds, urad dal, channa dal and dry red chilies.
- Roast over low flame till they turn golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To the same pan, add grated coconut, white sesame seeds and poppy seeds.
- Saute over low flame till the coconut gets roasted well and the aroma arises.
- Transfer to the same plate and let both cool completely.
- Transfer to a mixie jar and grind to a coarse or fine powder and set aside.
How to make potato podi curry recipe:
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add asafetida, boiled and peeled potatoes, curry leaves and saute till the potatoes gets coated with oil.
- Add salt, toss well and cook for 5 to 7 mins over low flame.
- Keep tossing the potatoes till the outer layer starts to change color and begins to crisp.
- Add the ground spice powder and toss well for the potatoes to get well coated in spice powder.
- Cook over low flame for 2 mins tossing frequently for all the sides to turn slightly crisp.