Brown Rice Dosa Recipe. A healthier and nutritious breakfast that is rich in fibre to kick start your day.
Brown rice, like millets are a practical substitute for white rice especially if you are a diabetic as it helps in keeping your blood sugar levels under control.
Brown rice is wholesome unlike white rice and is known to reduce higher cholesterol levels when regularly consumed.
As it is less processed, it also helps with your bowel movement if you happen to suffer from constipation.
This brown rice dosa is an instant hit with the kids from the day I started to make it as both of them love dosas more than idlis.
So every time I soak for idlis, I would also soak the ingredients for dosa.
Earlier I preferred grinding the batter in mixie jar for grinding small quantities but ever since my jar conked, I had to stick to my wet grinder.
But got a new jar last month and grinding the batter got more easy.
Points to note before making brown rice dosa:
1. You can grind all the ingredients into a dry powder in a mill and then later use the instant brown rice dosa mix with water, let it ferment before making dosas.
2. Earlier I used to add aval (poha) instead of sago. You can do that too but aval needs to be soaked separately just 1 hour before grinding the batter.
3. I kept forgetting to do that, so replaced sago with it as I can soak it along with all the ingredients. So use either Poha or sago and not both.
4. Use only the required amount of water to soak and do not discard the soaked water as it will be full of nutrients. Use the same water to grind the ingredients into batter.
5. As brown rice is full of fibre and its bran is intact, you need to eat the dosas hot, not even warm. Eating it cold will be difficult to swallow.
6. Also making smaller batch of batter is advised. Do not make it in bulk even if you are going to keep the batter refrigerated.
Brown Rice Dosa Recipe details below:
Brown Rice Dosa Recipe
- Brown Rice - 1 cup
- Urad Dal - ¼ cup
- Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
- Sago - 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds - ⅛ tsp or 1 fat pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Take brown rice, urad dal and chana dal in a vessel, add water, rinse once and drain water.
- Add sago, fenugreek seeds, 2-½ to 3 cups water and soak for 4-5 hours.
- Drain water, reserve the soaked water.
- Add the ingredients into the wet jar of your mixie or use the wet grinder to grind.
- Add the reserved soaked water little by little and grind to a smooth batter.
- Transfer to a bowl, add salt to taste and let it ferment for 7-8 hours or overnight.
- After fermenting, mix the batter lightly and you can see small bubbles on the batter surface.
- Heat a tawa and when it gets warm, pour a ladle full of batter and rotate your hand to spread the batter into a circle.
- Let it cook for 1 minute, when you see pores appearing on top, drizzle ½ tsp oil all around the edges and let it become crisp.
- Flip it gently and let the other side cook too. Transfer to a plate.
- Continue likewise with the rest of the batter.
- Serve this brown rice dosa hot with chutneys, idli podi and sambar.