Cauliflower pepper fry recipe. This chettinad style cauliflower milagu pirattal makes a spicy, lip smacking side dish to both sambar and rasam rice for lunch.
Cauliflower is one of the most loved vegetable at home. Kids love it no matter whatever dish I make out of it.
Cauliflower is one veggie that can be cooked many ways and it handles both North Indian and South Indian cuisines like a charm.
This pepper fry is one such dish that is very simple to make and it does not require a whole lot of spices unlike any other chettinad cuisine recipe.
It is also a spicy stir fry as that is how we love it at home. As such, since cauliflower is a bit sweet in taste, you need increase the spice level which can be always be adjusted according to one’s taste.
As the cauliflower season is in peak now, I’m trying one dish after other with cauliflower. As it’s a dry dish, it is perfect to pack for lunch boxes without the fear of any spilling inside the bag as well.
Points to note before making Cauliflower pepper fry recipe:
1. Make sure that you cut the florets into bite sized pieces that are even in shape.
2. Larger florets will take longer time to cook and will become soft and soggy while cooking.
3. Do not add any water while cooking and let the cauliflower cook in its own steam.
4. Do not overcook the cauliflower, they should maintain their shape and be a little crunchy and firm, then only it will taste good.
Cauliflower Pepper Fry Recipe details as follows:
Cauliflower Pepper Fry Recipe | Chettinad Cauliflower Milagu Pirattal
- Cauliflower – 1 medium size
- Onion – 1
- Garlic – 5 pods
- Green chilies – 2
- Whole black pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Whole dry red chilies – 2
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Chop the onions and green chilies finely and keep aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite sized florets.
- Bring 5 cups of water in a saucepan to a bubbling boil and immerse the florets for 2 mins. Drain the water completely and keep the florets aside.
- Powder the black pepper corn to a coarse powder in a mixie jar.
- Crush the garlic pods and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add mustard seeds and when it pops, add fennel seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add urad dal, broken whole dry red chilies and sauté till the dal becomes golden in color.
- Add crushed garlic and cook till it changes color.
- Add chopped onion, green chilies, turmeric powder, curry leaves and cook till the onions turns translucent.
- Now add cauliflower florets, salt, black pepper powder and toss well.
- Cover the pan with a lid, leaving a small gap and let it cook over low flame for 3 to 5 mins.
- Cauliflower pepper fry is ready.
- Remove from flame, toss once again.
- Serve as an accompaniment with rice.