Chickpeas sundal recipe. Chickpeas sundal made using kondakadalai or also known as kabuli chana is an often made sundal variety especially during festivals like Navratri, Ganesh Chaturthi and Vijaya Dasami.
Navratri is incomplete without sundal recipes. Sundals are usually made with legumes (pulses) of different kinds. They are not only easy to prepare but also loaded with protein.
As we use dried legumes, you need to plan in advance and soak them either overnight or for at least 8 – 10 hours to soften and prepare it for cooking.
I not only make them during festival time but also pack it often for my kids snacks box to school as they are so filling and keep the kids happy till their lunch break.
I love to prepare a variety of sundals and eat them as snack often as they are not only low in fat but also healthy and nutritious.
As chickpeas in general causes flatulence, do not miss out on adding asafetida as it helps to digest well.
The chickpeas should be soft and you should be able to mash it easily when pressed gently between your fingers.
Chickpeas sundal recipes details as follows:
- Chickpeas (Kabuli channa / Garbanzo Beans) – 1 cup
- Fresh grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Whole Dry red chillies – 2, broken
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida – 2 pinch
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Wash and soak chickpeas (kabuli chana) in plenty of water overnight or for atleast 8 hours.
- Discard water and rinse well.
- Place the chick peas in a pressure cooker. Add water till it is completely covered with water.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add the mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add urad dal, asafetida, dry chilies and curry leaves and sauté till the urad dal turns golden brown.
- Add cooked chickpeas and mix well. Adjust salt and cook for a minute.
- Add grated coconut and toss well.
- Chickpeas sundal is ready.
- Serve hot or warm.